More threads by barryc333

Reaction score
Can 2 businesses with different names and phone numbers claim the same address for their local + listing??

Why are two completely separate businesses at the same address?

Do they have unique suite #'s within a building?

What type of business are they?

The businesses are virtual office locations using the same address but with different names and phone numbers. Suite #'s are not available. A listing already has been created for 1 of the businesses. If the 2nd listing is created, will it be a conflict?

Virtual offices are not permitted in Google Places. It's viewed the same as using a UPS address or a PO BOX as your business location.

This guideline would cover it:

Do not create a listing or place your pin marker at a location where the business does not physically exist.

One other question: For businesses that have a physical presence at a place such as a Regus Business center where all the mail is sent to 1 suite # and then the mail is distributed to the tenants, can each tenant create a listing for their business? They would all use the same address and suite #, but each business would be different, including names, phone #'s, etc.??

One other question: For businesses that have a physical presence at a place such as a Regus Business center where all the mail is sent to 1 suite # and then the mail is distributed to the tenants, can each tenant create a listing for their business? They would all use the same address and suite #, but each business would be different, including names, phone #'s, etc.??

Hate to say it, but you'll probably need to use totally different addresses - ones that Google considers totally Kosher. Colan is right: using the virtual offices is a non-starter. If you can't get a physical address, probably your best bet is to focus more on organic SEO and/or PPC; Google+Local may just not be the right tool for the job, based on what I know so far.

Thank you for your reply. Regus was a poor example as most of their customers are virtual. There are other shared business centers where they have a front desk and share the office assistant but have permanent space, not virtual. In that case you could have dozens of individual businesses that are different in every way except that share the same address and suite #. The line can get blurred, but thinking this can still work?? I'm sure there are many examples of this nature.

Thank you for your reply. Regus was a poor example as most of their customers are virtual. There are other shared business centers where they have a front desk and share the office assistant but have permanent space, not virtual. In that case you could have dozens of individual businesses that are different in every way except that share the same address and suite #. The line can get blurred, but thinking this can still work?? I'm sure there are many examples of this nature.

It would depend entirely on the specific situation. They'd have to be legally separate businesses. As opposed to, say, a gym that offers yoga, Pilates, and tennis lessons, and then tries to get away with having a separate Google listing for each of those services.

Only way it works is you have an employee at the shared office location as if you actually rent space like you would at an office park, etc. Using the virutal office staff won't cut it as you can rely on other entities to establish your own physical presence. That's the only way it works.

I have an account where there are 3 businesses under one address. No suite numbers. They are 3 legit businesses, individualized categories/services, 3 unique phone numbers, unique staff/vehicles/equipment for each.

Their services are somewhat related, but not the same. (same owner)

Even though, this appears to be fine within the guidelines, it does seem to cause some confusion and issues within the algos. Could be because 2 of the businesses have similar names, just different services.

I have an account where there are 3 businesses under one address. No suite numbers. They are 3 legit businesses, individualized categories/services, 3 unique phone numbers, unique staff/vehicles/equipment for each.

Their services are somewhat related, but not the same. (same owner)

Even though, this appears to be fine within the guidelines, it does seem to cause some confusion and issues within the algos. Could be because 2 of the businesses have similar names, just different services.

If they're not legally separate businesses, you may run into trouble sooner or later - as in having one or more of the businesses whisked off the map.

But that's unlikely to be causing whatever issues you're running into currently. Obviously, I don't have much specific info on any of this, but the similar names could be contributing to "merged" Google listings. Also, if they truly are 3 separate businesses, you'll certainly want those Google+Local pages connected to 3 different domains (i.e. have the landing page for each Google listing page be on a separate domain).

I'm sorry but I think it is a wiser decision to use two different address because it might cause you conflict in the future. Also, I just don't get it as you have 2 listings with the same address and yet you manage to list them. I've done that before but it didn't allow me so how come you've created that.

This comes back to therapists who have their own business but use rooms within a health centre to see clients.

Do you put the name of the therapist business and then the address of the health centre (but without the name of the health centre)?

I recall at one time people were using Name of Business @Health Centre Name as the business name??

This comes back to therapists who have their own business but use rooms within a health centre to see clients.

Do you put the name of the therapist business and then the address of the health centre (but without the name of the health centre)?

I recall at one time people were using Name of Business @Health Centre Name as the business name??

Jo I think of this as similar to say independent Realtors and Insurance agents who all work out of the same office with names like Coldwell Banker: John Smith.

In cases like this I think it's important not to have the name of the health center included in the name as it would contribute to a merge. They would have the same or similar categories, same street address. Then additionally if names were similar and main listing was BeWell Center and your client was listed as BeWell Center: Mary Smith they are at high risk for merging.

Jo I think of this as similar to say independent Realtors and Insurance agents who all work out of the same office with names like Coldwell Banker: John Smith.

In cases like this I think it's important not to have the name of the health center included in the name as it would contribute to a merge. They would have the same or similar categories, same street address. Then additionally if names were similar and main listing was BeWell Center and your client was listed as BeWell Center: Mary Smith they are at high risk for merging.

Very true. Having the firm/agency name in the name of the Google listing is a recipe for a merge. If you take on any real-estate agent clients, insurance agents, etc., you'll need to determine up-front whether the firm/agency has a problem with your client's using only his/her name for the Google listing.

LOL, the list of questions to ask before you take someone on grows ever longer :) Ta muchly

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom