Reaction score
There are a lot of views about what citations are the top. This is Search Engine Journals take. Be sure to read the comments, as others are making suggestions. Myles from Brightlocal makes some great suggestions.

SEO 101: The Top 15 Places for Local Citations in the U.S. and the U.K.

There are thousands of places where a citation (which is a mention of your business name and address, phone number and/or website) can be built for your local business in order to help your current and potential customers find you easier online. But, before we get the top 15 sources for local citations by country, here’s the ‘big four’:

SEO 101: The Top 15 Places for Local Citations in Canada and Australia

Welcome to Part 2 of this series! I’m going to quickly go through the important points I covered in the previous part in this short intro. Remember local citations shouldn’t be used as a linkbuilding technique. Instead, it should be taken as a way to help your customers try to find you easier online.

Margaret Ornsby

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'll add my two bits to the list for Australia

Yellowbook and bloo - they've been touted as a top citation site on many lists on the Internet, but from my experience I don't think there's anybody at home. I've sent each site multiple requests for assistance with listings (delete/update/whatever) and never had either a response or result. My experience makes me question just how valuable those really are...

FlyingSolo is removing their free listings offering in July
We emailed you a while ago to let you know we will be removing all free listings from our Flying Solo member directory and from July 1, 2014 the directory will be for paying members only.

Yalwa - good for anonymous reviews, and for some reason Google sometimes picks up their reviews. Which is wonderful for astro-turfing. I knew a business owner who put 10 fake 5-star reviews on her listing, one after the other. To my horror, Google took them and has tied them to her places page. Seems they're willing to take anything from anyone, any number of times.
Also, free listings expire every 12 months.

That said, the rest of his list is good.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had any success with YB and Bloo?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet Mojopages Rebrands as Local Stack & Pros Discuss Best Citations Citations 0
Linda Buquet How to Discover the Best Local Citation Opportunities Citations 1
Local Search News Curator Best Sources for Local Citations by City (U.S.) | GetListed.org Citations 0
J What is the best reporting tool for Local SEO Local SEO Tools & Software 10
Travis Van Slooten Best On Going Training for Local SEO Consultants? Consultant's Corner 4
djbaxter Which service-area business types perform best in local search? Service Area Businesses 0
Ben Walsh Best Local Industries to niche down in? Marketing 3
nathangdavidson What's the best way to advise Google when there's a bogus business listing returned in a Local Pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Sarah Local Search Auditing Best Practice? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
C Best local lead generation software Recycle Bin 0
Garrett Sussman 4 of the Best Local Marketing Courses for Professional Development Local Reviews 3
C Best Value Local SEO Platform? Brightlocal? Mox? Yext? Whitespark? Tribelocal? Consultant's Corner 8
M How do I best use kw's for local SEO please? Local Search 21
rosie.brightlocal Best local SEO blog? Vote now! Consultant's Corner 4
Gsmithmike Best Tool To Check Keyword Ranking Locally? Local Search 4
HangTenSEO Best Local Search Tool Local SEO Tools & Software 40
Durandl What is the best domain name when it comes to local Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman Who and what are the best resources for Local Search? Local Search 7
Linda Buquet 153 of the Very Best SEO & Local Search Tools - Backlinko Organic SEO 0
Linda Buquet Brainstorm: Best Ways to Get New Local Search Clients Fast? Round 3 Consultant's Corner 1
Linda Buquet Brainstorm: Best Ways to Get New Local Search Clients Fast? Round 3 Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Vijay Marathe Best name format for single practitioner businesses on local directories other than G Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C How best to handle these Google listings for a single location local business? Help & Support for Google Local 15
Upstager Couple Questions - Best Ways to Learn Local SEO? Google Local 101 3
Linda Buquet Local Search Brainstorm: Best Ways to Get New Clients Fast? Round 2 Consultant's Corner 9
Eric Rohrback Best Verticals to Consult in? Q for Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 9
L UPDATE: Google Local Duplicate Discovery - Now that Our Best Google Tools are Gone Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Linda Buquet UPDATE: Google Local Duplicate Discovery - Now that Our Best Google Tools are Gone Google Duplicates & Merges 1
G Local Search Consultants: Best to Target Small or Medium Businesses? Consultant's Corner 4
Linda Buquet Learn Google Local & Local SEO From the Best @ Moz Google Local 101 2
Linda Buquet Best Local SEO Tools & Software? Top Resources Here Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Linda Buquet Local Search: Best Ways to Get New Clients Fast! Consultant's Corner 4
Linda Buquet Your best Local Search ranking advice? In just one sentence. GO! Local Search 38
Gsmithmike What is the best option to setup website Silo for local pages? Local Search 1
L Awesome Local Content Creation - All The Best Resources Local Content 0
Linda Buquet Awesome Local Content Creation - All The Best Resources Local Content 0
Linda Buquet Hey Big Spender! What Industries Spend the Most on Local Search + Get the Best Return Local Search 3
Gsmithmike What is the best way to check local ranking for a keyword? Local Search 26
Linda Buquet Best Local Search Blogs of 2014 - The BrightLocal Results are In! Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Best of Local @ the Local Search Forum: The Big 2014 Countdown Local Search 8
P Best Google My Business option for local health service business Help & Support for Google Local 6
Lloyd Silver Any changes to best practices for real estate agents due to latest Google Local algo Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Brainstorm - Best Ways to Get Local SEO Clients Fast? Consultant's Corner 15
John Tabita Best Practices for creating Google+ and/or Google+ Local Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 1
ColoradoChris Best way for local business to get +1's? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Linda Buquet 7 Best Practices for Communicating with Local Search Clients Consultant's Corner 0
ColoradoChris Website design Is Wordpress or HTML Static site best for Local SEO Local Search 10
MiriamEllis Local Troubleshooting Best Practices Google My Business & Google Maps 18
Linda Buquet Roundup of Best of Local Search 2013 Lists & Predictions for Local SEO in 2014 Local Search 4
Bishop What is the BEST Local Seo wordpress theme? Local Search 17