More threads by dynasty

dynasty

Solutions
Reaction score
There is a spammer in my client's area doing some very nasty things. Not only is he creating a TON of fake listings, but he's also creating listings that are basically spoofs of his competition's name (i.e. Bob's Heating, LLC. becomes Bob's Heating, Inc.).

He's also repeatedly tried to take over his competitors' listings by requesting ownership. Apparently, one company didn't respond in time and ended up getting their GMB hijacked. My client keeps getting requests from the guy to manage his listing on Google. He's gotten a lawyer involved, but it keeps happening. Is there anything Google could do to stop the requests?

Last edited:
Solution
@dynasty, Google's temporarily unable and probably long-term unwilling to do anything about the hijacking attempts. They're everywhere now, and I've seen a few. (One of my clients gave one such request the benefit of the doubt, but I was able to intervene and prevent a FUBAR situation. A close call.)

Two things to consider:

1. Go to "suggest an edit" and "Report a legal issue." Other than maybe in the comment boxes, I don't think there's a way to convey the hijack attempts, but at least you can get Google to look at the spoof listings. At the very least that may keep them in check. Also, though this is a guess, it seems possible that if the spoofing / spamming is egregious enough Google may suspend some accounts.

2. If...
@dynasty, Google's temporarily unable and probably long-term unwilling to do anything about the hijacking attempts. They're everywhere now, and I've seen a few. (One of my clients gave one such request the benefit of the doubt, but I was able to intervene and prevent a FUBAR situation. A close call.)

Two things to consider:

1. Go to "suggest an edit" and "Report a legal issue." Other than maybe in the comment boxes, I don't think there's a way to convey the hijack attempts, but at least you can get Google to look at the spoof listings. At the very least that may keep them in check. Also, though this is a guess, it seems possible that if the spoofing / spamming is egregious enough Google may suspend some accounts.

2. If possible, have your client make you at least an "Owner" - or maybe even "Primary Owner" - of the GMB page. So you can intercept anything fishy.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom