Oliver Keates

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking at a GMB listing it has been claimed without permission from the company.

Two questions?

One

Are GMB listings created automatically by Google or does a human have to generate the GMB listing manually.

Two

What is the latest recommended procedure to tell Google when a third party has created and claimed your company GMB listing.

thanks

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
1. Both are true. They can be created automatically or by humans via Google My Business (you can create a listing for your business if one doesn't exist already).

2. This process is now automated. Here are the steps you should take:
  1. Go ahead and try and claim the listing. It should tell you it’s verified and take you to this request access form.
  2. When you fill that out, you’ll get an email. It’s imperative that you do not delete this email because you need it to appeal if the existing owner denies your request to transfer ownership.
  3. The current owner has 7 days to respond. Do not contact GMB about this as they won’t do anything if it hasn’t been 7 days. The entire process is automated so you shouldn’t need to contact them at all.
  4. If they grant you access within 7 days, your account now becomes the primary owner and they are demoted to a manager. This means you can go in and remove them, if needed.
  5. If they deny you access or don’t respond in 7 days, pull up the email you received and click “view request”. If they denied you access, you should see a button to appeal. If they didn’t respond you should see a button that says “verify”. Both of these buttons do the same thing - they allow you to verify the listing via postcard. Once you successfully get the pin and enter it, this immediately boots the other user out completely and you are now the primary owner. This process essentially makes it impossible for someone to hold your listing hostage.

C!Note

Reaction score
We helped a client with this exact issue.
Basically went through the exact steps as what Joy says here, the only exception is we got the phone call option. Which saved us 2 weeks of waiting on pins and needles :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D New GMB listing possible due to acquisition of company? Service Area Businesses 3
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
E 3rd party SEO company holding clients GMB listing hostage Google My Business & Google Maps 15
coachmarino Company trying to sell client back their own GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J Don't know if company submitted for GMB reinstatement Help & Support for Google Local 2
Bryan Bloom Map Pack & GMB spammed company names - How to Get Google to Care Local Search 12
Oliver Keates GMB Company Name Recognition Google My Business & Google Maps 3
G My GMB is not in the first page another company is alone in the right page of search Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Durandl GMB issues for international train company Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Durandl GMB issues for international train company Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J GMB name and company name Local Search 9
Scott ClientClicks Company is merging, what's the best solution to combine GMB profiles? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet Busted! Google Places (GMB) Scam Company Shut Down for Lying & Intimidation Spam on Google 0
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
G Internet marketing company and map listings? Help & Support for Google Local 4
P To Feature your Company Story Contact Us Messages 2
djbaxter The Online Companies That Know the Most About You Mobile & Social 0
D How to properly form site structure for power washing company that serves 10 towns? Local Search 6
H Vent: Companies are making it harder to invoice Consultant's Corner 9
Zdenek Horak Spam Moving company stehovanikutilek.cz Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Rich Owings Large construction company with multiple divisions All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Jen Currier Registered Agent Service & PO Box for SAB Companies in CA Service Area Businesses 2
M Fake Reviews/ Possible Lead Gen Company Spam on Google 5
P Can you recommend a person or company to create Schema? Local Search 6
Rich Owings Large construction company has campus with multiple divisions Google Duplicates & Merges 4
dave101 Looking for an SEO consultant with experience optimizing IT support companies Local SEO Job Board 1
dave101 Anyone have experience with optimizing IT Support companies? Service Area Businesses 0
R Garage Door Company Using Brusters Ice Cream Google My Business & Google Maps 10
M Outbound link to company's LinkedIn profile from website Mobile & Social 2
T Old Marketing Company Switches Us To Site Managers Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jen Currier Can Facebook Reviews be moved from one Company Page to another? Local Reviews 2
raellovepie Review not intended for our company. How to deal with it? Local Reviews 3
M Which Hosting Company do you guys recommend please? Websites, Software, and Security 40
R Tracking numbers for local service company Citations 4
R If You Were Building a Service Company Website Local Search 6
K My company shows twice in search but 1 is not claimed and 1 is not full Google My Business & Google Maps 8
A Which link to use for company Google profile and reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Tim Colling Removing Facebook company pages - a little help? Mobile & Social 13
A i would like to speak to you regarding google my business listings and future seo management for my company Contact Us Messages 3
J Software Development Companies - Google Doesn't Treat Related Searches as Local Local Search 4
M Three websites, one company Help & Support for Google Local 5
JoshuaMackens Website Design Companies Consultant's Corner 11
schmeetz How to Properly Organize Practitioner Listings Under a Company Citations 5
Tim Colling Is there any point in reporting fake review companies like this one? Local Search Experts Forum 7
A Help pls - Same building, same brand, different companies - Google say no. Google My Business & Google Maps 11
kkbedard Can't Find New Company / Listing in Search results Local Search 8
Linda Buquet New Ownership: Joy Hawkins' Company Sterling Sky, Inc. Has Acquired the Forum LSF News and Announcements 40
H HVAC company bought another company - keep website open? Local Search 5
freerunr Anyone dealt with a company/service like this yet? Local SEO Tools & Software 4
C Googling company name sometimes appears in Google and other times doesn't Local Search 2