More threads by KieranThomas

KieranThomas

Reaction score
Most of our clients are single location businesses so we haven't really needed to use Google Business Profile "Groups" before so the following is a new question/consideration for me.

We are working with a client who has multiple business advisors; each of whom is a franchisee.

This client used to have their local SEO managed by another agency. Whilst reviewing some documentation they had provided the client with, I noticed they mentioned that they had set the listing(s) up to use a primary listing for the parent company, and additional listings for each business advisor. So far so good as according to Google's guidelines, this is acceptable.

What I found interesting was this part:

The way we’ve set this up is so that the main website is receiving the most benefit, rather than each business advisor individual profiles. As a result, if an advisor leaves and their page is taken down or altered it doesn’t have such a huge impact on the websites SEO/ ranking.

Now; whilst I totally understand the essence of what they're getting at (e.g. remove the page for the London advisor and you potentially loose the benefit of that traffic), it seems to overlook the fact that you would have to get rid of the page regardless. That's because you can't assign the existing GBP listing to the new advisor as a) that wouldn't be compliant with the Google guidelines and b) any GBP reviews would relate to the original person (Advisor A), so would make no sense if you repurposed for the page for Advisor B.

Therefore, my understanding is that, from a ranking perspective, it shouldn't matter whether groups are used or not. Groups, I believe, are there only to make management of the multi-location accounts easier.

Is that correct, or do Groups actually somehow impact on rankings (e.g. by helping Google understand the relationship between multiple entities which it perhaps wouldn't be able to do if they were setup as individual GBP accounts)?

Solution
Most of our clients are single location businesses so we haven't really needed to use Google Business Profile "Groups" before so the following is a new question/consideration for me.

We are working with a client who has multiple business advisors; each of whom is a franchisee.

This client used to have their local SEO managed by another agency. Whilst reviewing some documentation they had provided the client with, I noticed they mentioned that they had set the listing(s) up to use a primary listing for the parent company, and additional listings for each business advisor. So far so good as according to Google's guidelines, this is acceptable.

Now; whilst I totally understand the...

Now; whilst I totally understand the essence of what they're getting at (e.g. remove the page for the London advisor and you potentially loose the benefit of that traffic), it seems to overlook the fact that you would have to get rid of the page regardless. That's because you can't assign the existing GBP listing to the new advisor as a) that wouldn't be compliant with the Google guidelines and b) any GBP reviews would relate to the original person (Advisor A), so would make no sense if you repurposed for the page for Advisor B.

Therefore, my understanding is that, from a ranking perspective, it shouldn't matter whether groups are used or not. Groups, I believe, are there only to make management of the multi-location accounts easier.

Is that correct, or do Groups actually somehow impact on rankings (e.g. by helping Google understand the relationship between multiple entities which it perhaps wouldn't be able to do if they were setup as individual GBP accounts)?

There are zero ranking benefits to creating groups.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom