More threads by dotgal

dotgal

Reaction score
I've seen many local searches where it's the search term + "near me". I came across a page that asks for your zip code and then auto-populates the page with the "city" location. For example, bicycles + "in city" would populate with bicycles in Los Angeles. The rest of the page would have occurrences of Los Angeles, CA. However, the rest of the content is static. My questions are:

1) Would it make sense to have a static page that uses "near me" and "near you" in the content? Say if this page didn't ask for input of zipcode, how does Google determine the relevancy of the page to the user? I'm guessing Google knows a user's location already...

2) How would Google read a page that serves dynamic content, but the majority of the page's content is static and almost very similar? Or would it be better to create static city specific pages? But with this approach, how would I answer what should be the maximum # of city pages? And which cities should I select if I want to target the entire county. People tend to query [search term] + city and not [search term] +county.

3) Would it make sense to have a County level page and on that page talk about the cities / communities that are being served (with hyperlinks to the city specific pages)?

Hey there,

My company has experimented a lot with your inquiries and here's what we have found to work best.

1. Create city pages starting with the highest populated areas. If you're unsure if the city is being considered another "City" or "Area" by Google. Head over to Google maps, input the city and check to see what Google considers the physical boundaries of the geographical area.

2. When creating your city pages, remember that keywords are not exact match. By this I mean, even if the highest SV in a keyword planner shows "Bicycles Los Angeles" it is aggregate data and a packed term for everything that includes +bicycles +los +angeles. Example: "bicycles near me in los angeles", "best shops with biscycles in los angeles", etc etc.

If you want to see the unpacked terms, go to Google.com and input this "bicycles *los angeles" in the organic search bar. This will return the unpacked data for this term that gets searched the most. It looks like it is "Bicycles For Sale Los Angeles".

3. When writing your content make sure to include search modifers in your headings - "near you" queries do not need to be on separate pages. For example:

h1 = Bicycles For Sale in Los Angeles
h2 = The #1 Bicycle's For Sale Near You in Los Angeles
h3 = Why We're The Best Bicycle Shop in Los Angeles

4. County level pages are unnecessary. Cities will do just fine. If you duplicate the content and change out the cities, make sure you don't have any mention of other cities anywhere on the page as you may unintentionally cannibalize your own keywords or areas.

Good luck DotGal!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom