More threads by Scott ClientClicks

Solutions
Reaction score
I hope everybody is doing well. I have a client who runs a personal training business. He currently leases space at a gym and has regular hours there and has a GMB listing at that location. However, he is now considering ending that lease and doing training at people's homes only. If he ends the lease, his plan would be to convert his GMB listing to a SAB (with no address). If he converts to a SAB, should he expect a ranking drop when people google "personal trainer" in his service area? I don't normally deal with SAB clients, so would appreciate any advice. He may keep the lease if it will tank his local SEO.

Solution
There are two separate issues, although #1 isn't your scenario: 1) converting to an SAB 2) changing the address.

Just changing to SAB/hiding the address (but not changing it), folks differ on whether it will impact ranking. I tend to think not, but haven't seen substantial evidence either way.

But in your case, he's actually changing his address, which is the bigger issue. If his home is more strategically located to where potential clients are, it might be a good move. Even though he'd hide his address, I think Google will still base rankings on his address.

Alternatively, you could just hide the address, but keep it at the current location; Google will remove that address from your GMB dashboard anyway. But if he would benefit...
There are two separate issues, although #1 isn't your scenario: 1) converting to an SAB 2) changing the address.

Just changing to SAB/hiding the address (but not changing it), folks differ on whether it will impact ranking. I tend to think not, but haven't seen substantial evidence either way.

But in your case, he's actually changing his address, which is the bigger issue. If his home is more strategically located to where potential clients are, it might be a good move. Even though he'd hide his address, I think Google will still base rankings on his address.

Alternatively, you could just hide the address, but keep it at the current location; Google will remove that address from your GMB dashboard anyway. But if he would benefit from that location, it might be a good choice. He wouldn't have to re-verify that address, so it shouldn't be a problem even if he doesn't have a lease there anymore. Technically, that might cause an issue in the future, so it may not be the best long-term solution, but it would give him time to build up clientele.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom