More threads by Annika Neudecker

Reaction score
I've recently been enlisted to become the master of our company's tracking appends. As you might imagine, it's a massive undertaking and I'm drinking from the firehose to learn it all! I thought I might start with fixing appends on a platform I'm familiar with, GMB. Currently, the appends on every URL we put into GMB look something like this: ?utm_source=local&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=googlemybusiness&utm_term=(store#) and the URL goes the individual location page.

The most obvious mistake is using the utm_term parameter for the store number, since that field is meant only for paid search keywords. Other than that, it's a little up in the air. I've done some looking at both our competitor's appends and appends of other large chain businesses and there's quite a bit of variation. I'm leaning towards ?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmblistings. However, that leaves the question of if tracking the individual store number in the parameter is necessary or not. The URLs all go to location pages rather than the homepage, so I'm not sure it's needed. Thoughts? How do you set up UTMs for your GMB locations?

I usually just add 2 for the second location: ?utm_source=GMBlisting2....
Or I'll add the geo if there are several locations: ?utm_source=GMBlistingRichmond.....

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom