More threads by Leah

Leah

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been addressed previously, I couldn't find a thread.

When writing a homepage for a service area business, specifically for electricians, HVAC, pressure washers, etc., how much do you dedicate to individual services? For example, if a company offers services A, B, and C, how much verbiage needs to be on the homepage about each of these services, especially when there's a dedicated service page (that's linked to)?

We typically have a short paragraph about each of the services, but I'm wondering if that if confusing because then there's not one keyword focus for the page. Also, to demonstrate EAT, what other information do you suggest we focus on (other than the specific services)? Our clients aren't often a member of local organizations, don't usually have industry certifications, so I'm left writing about the service itself and how it can benefit the reader. Any suggestions are appeciated.

Thank you!

Leah

Solution
For example, if a company offers services A, B, and C, how much verbiage needs to be on the homepage about each of these services, especially when there's a dedicated service page (that's linked to)?
Having a little content block with an internal link and some nicely optimized anchor text can go a long way. Depending on how many services you offer, I would probably limit this to three or four at the most.

You don't need to include all the services in the homepage title tag as this should be optimized for the core service that the business offers. The majority of the homepage should be optimized for the core service as well. This will keep the homepage focused on the core service and the little content blocks with internal links...
For example, if a company offers services A, B, and C, how much verbiage needs to be on the homepage about each of these services, especially when there's a dedicated service page (that's linked to)?
Having a little content block with an internal link and some nicely optimized anchor text can go a long way. Depending on how many services you offer, I would probably limit this to three or four at the most.

You don't need to include all the services in the homepage title tag as this should be optimized for the core service that the business offers. The majority of the homepage should be optimized for the core service as well. This will keep the homepage focused on the core service and the little content blocks with internal links will help Google navigate to the other important services without diluting the focus of the homepage.

Solution
Thank you, Colan.

If the business has, say ten services, would you highlight the three or four that bring in the most traffic with a content block, and then simply have an internal link for the remaining services?

Thank you!

Hey regarding your second question on E-EAT, here's a few things I usually look for:
-Person schema with the business owners contact details and social profiles
-Primary social media profiles added to site footer area as icons and URLs added to schema
-Have as many of these in your navigation menu as possible: About, Gallery, Work, Team, Terms, Privacy Policy
-Include the business email and phone number on each page
-Reviews schema
Those are some of the things that are easy and cheap for a bot to find by crawling a site, so I think they are good places to start.

Thank you, Colan.

If the business has, say ten services, would you highlight the three or four that bring in the most traffic with a content block, and then simply have an internal link for the remaining services?

I'd link 3-5 services that are most important and add another one pointing to a hub page where visitors can find all your services (including links to each of them) at a glance.

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been addressed previously, I couldn't find a thread.

When writing a homepage for a service area business, specifically for electricians, HVAC, pressure washers, etc., how much do you dedicate to individual services? For example, if a company offers services A, B, and C, how much verbiage needs to be on the homepage about each of these services, especially when there's a dedicated service page (that's linked to)?

We typically have a short paragraph about each of the services, but I'm wondering if that if confusing because then there's not one keyword focus for the page. Also, to demonstrate EAT, what other information do you suggest we focus on (other than the specific services)? Our clients aren't often a member of local organizations, don't usually have industry certifications, so I'm left writing about the service itself and how it can benefit the reader. Any suggestions are appeciated.

Thank you!

Leah

This sounds trite but examine the top three rankers in your slot. One philosophy is to let their content guide competitive decisions. James Dooley has a great bit about this, over-competing is just as wasteful as under-competing, we always want to measure what we're trying to beat before decided what we need to beat them. Two cents anyhow. Cheers.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom