More threads by brycek379

brycek379

Reaction score
Hello, I need advice. Recently, I've been changing URLs of my site pages, and now Google has added all the URLs, old and late, in the index. Is there a way to delete old URLs from the index loss-free?

Hello, I need advice. Recently, I've been changing URLs of my site pages, and now Google has added all the URLs, old and late, in the index. Is there a way to delete old URLs from the index loss-free?

First off, did you 301 redirect the old url to the corresponding new urls? If you are doing proper 301 redirects this will take care of itself.

Thanks for the update! I'd add to be really cautious about using the Removal Tool.

That tool will definitely delete the URL from the index, but I'd be concerned that the benefit doesn't outweigh the potential cost of using the GSC Removal Tool:
  • Potential benefit includes: Google wouldn't think there's duplicate content... they'd definitely know which page to rank.
  • Potential cost includes: The old URLs are still ranking and the new URLs likely won't rank as high until Google figures out the 1-to-1 relationship between the old URL and new URL.

If I am not mistaken inside Google Search Console, there is an option to de-index links. If that doesn't work you can also try creating a robots.txt page, to tell the search engine robots to not index the page.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom