More threads by georgebizpro

Reaction score
One thing I have been working on for clients who have either moved to a new location, or are planning out where their new office location should be located for Google My Business purposes, is using Local Falcon to identify which zip codes businesses who rank are located in. I'll export all of the listings, narrow it down to top 10 competitors in each of let's say 10 search locations, and replace the business names with the zip codes the businesses are located in. I'll then compile a list of zip codes, as well as the number of times a business in that zip code showed up in top results, so that a client isn't stuck opening an office where Google might not give preference.

I started doing this after a client moved their office basically 3 blocks up the street, but their rankings basically fell off for some reason in that city (and in the surrounding areas). The new office was in a new zip code but practically the same location/proximity.

When they were in their old zip code, they ranked #1 for practically every search term, up until the September Core update. The zip code that they were in before moving showed up in the competitor report as the #1 local zip code where competitors who ranked were located. The new zip code didn't show up once, other than the client's listing.

Does anyone think Google designates "authority" to certain zip codes, and businesses located in those areas are more likely to show up in the results? Or does everyone think it's all just based on proximity and it's just all a coincidence?

Does anyone think Google designates "authority" to certain zip codes, and businesses located in those areas are more likely to show up in the results? Or does everyone think it's all just based on proximity and it's just all a coincidence?

Proximity seems to be the main factor but there are other factors weighing in at any given time. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "Google designates "authority" to certain zip codes"? Google is trying to provide the user with the best results possible, so I do think that some businesses will perform better in certain zip codes over others for reasons outside of proximity, if that is what you mean.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom