More threads by JeffClevelandTN

Solutions
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

This is a pretty long question with several asks, I'm hoping for some help.

Looking for a fairly recent breakdown (no later than 2021) for the percentage of clicks for desktop and mobile Google search results. In the past, I recall being able to fairly easily find an article with an image of a standard Google result that had been marked up to show (for example):
  • X% of searchers click on Google Ads
  • X% of searchers click on the Local Pack with X% going to 1st position, Y% going to 2nd position and Z% going to 3rd position
  • X% of searchers click on SERP positions 1, 2, 3, 4 5
  • X% click on Featured Snippets
  • also Knowledge Panel, Rich Answers
The above are the most common type of results that potentially might show up on a Google search but there are about 18 in total (e.g Carousels, Shopping, Images, site links, etc.)

This popular backlinko article summarizes the CTR of the standard Google Organic SERPs, but nothing about Local Pack and therefore no comparison being made between SERP and Local Pack positions. Trying to find information showing the average CTR of just the top five result types that might show up on a Google search has proven difficult. This article has some really good info, but doesn't hit the mark.

Going a bit further, I remember Joy fairly recently doing research for a case study involving Local Pack search behavior and thinking that it would be REALLY great to know the intent of the clicks going to Local Pack results. Anecdotally, I believe that a large percentage of Local Pack clicks are from existing clients/customers simply needing to make a phone call or getting directions. So, while there may be a significant % of local searchers clicking on Local Pack results, it might not be as meaningful if we knew how many of the clicks were for prospective new clients. The same thing goes for Knowledge Panel results with local search intent.

I believe most SEOs that have been around for awhile (myself included), still believe that the #1 Organic position is the most valuable "real-estate" for a Google search result. Using somewhat fictitious numbers here for an example, if a Local Pack shows up in the search results and 34% of searchers click on position #1, 18% going to #2, and 11% going #3, while the #1 Organic has a 28% CTR. Is the #1 Organic position still the most valuable result in this example? It becomes difficult to defend the value of the #1 Organic SERP if we don't know the intent of the click but article after article will claim the #1 SERP is the most valuable space without really substantiating this statement.

So to sum it up, what I'm looking for:
  1. Article that summarizes CTR for the different types of Google results, with at least a breakdown of the most popular result areas (Ads, Local Pack, Organic).
  2. Why is the #1 Organic position still the most valuable result?
  3. Search intent for clicks on Local Pack results versus Organic (or any other results).
Lastly, I also realize that the searcher's intent can dramatically change the CTR of results (i.e. local intent, informational, navigational, transactional/purchase, research, etc.). Also CTR can vary wildly depending on the layout of the results (e.g. #1 Organic may get lower CTR with a KP present).

Looking forward to feedback from the best Local Search Forum on the planet!

Thanks!
Jeff

Solution
Hi Jeff, I would have referred you to some of Uberall's research but it looks like you've already checked it out. Outside of that I am not familiar with any data that is newer than 2021.

Why is the #1 Organic position still the most valuable result?
I think this varies by industry, keyword and search result format. For instance, if their is a featured snippet present, the #1 organic result is king. If there are a couple ads, than the 3-pack I would think that the 3-pack results are more important than the organic results. If there is a single organic result sitting above the 3-pack, and it has a "clicky" title tag, meta description and other attractive bells and whistles, I imagine that would be the king of that serp.
Hi Jeff, I would have referred you to some of Uberall's research but it looks like you've already checked it out. Outside of that I am not familiar with any data that is newer than 2021.

Why is the #1 Organic position still the most valuable result?
I think this varies by industry, keyword and search result format. For instance, if their is a featured snippet present, the #1 organic result is king. If there are a couple ads, than the 3-pack I would think that the 3-pack results are more important than the organic results. If there is a single organic result sitting above the 3-pack, and it has a "clicky" title tag, meta description and other attractive bells and whistles, I imagine that would be the king of that serp.

Solution
Thanks for the reply! Yes, the backlinko article I had originally referenced included information and links to the Advanced Web Ranking reports. They definitely offer very granular filters, but I still wasn't quite able to get the info I was looking for. However, I very easily could have overlooked the proper way to drill down to the results I'm needing. The problem is that I actually wanted/needed the info for a presentation tomorrow :(.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom