elen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My company ranked very well on Google, we always appear #1 in 3-pack.
Sadly we have to move to new location and it's definitely going to affect our ranking. I have an option either to keep the same phone number or get the new one. I'm sure it's gonna be tons on duplicate/inconsistent listings after we move. I'm just trying to find the better way to reduce the damage and keep good ranking. I would be really happy to hear any opinion or advise. Thanks!

Scott Rawlins

Solutions
Reaction score
I would certainly keep the same phone number if you can. That'll be one less thing you have to worry about updating after the move. It's always best to keep NAP info the same as much as possible.

elen

Reaction score
Thanks Joy! I read your guide and noticed you recommend to update the address in the citation after updating address on website and Google My Business. Other experts suggest to update the citations before making changes on GMB. What solution would be better in order to save ranking?

elen

Reaction score
Do you think if I leave the same phone number it can create inconsistency in the citation (same business - different address)? How is it compared to listing with new phone number ( I meant if Google can see it as different business)?

gulliver

Reaction score
Do you think if I leave the same phone number it can create inconsistency in the citation (same business - different address)? How is it compared to listing with new phone number ( I meant if Google can see it as different business)?

In any case you'll get inconsistency since you keep the "Name" but change another part of the NAP. Now if you don't change the phone number, you'll have less pain working with all those citation sites changing the phone number as well. Since some will require extra phone verification and so on..

That's what they are saying.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
In addition to what everyone else has said, phone# is one of the prime identifiers for a biz. So if it's stays the same it would be a mature part of NAP. If that makes sense.

If you get new phone # it would be more like a brand new biz. I mean I know name will be the same. But keeping phone makes sense.

Hey Joy - on the other hand, if he keeps phone he could still have some of the ranking problems due to a closed listing with same name and phone.

AND the problem of the old closed listing maybe showing up in search, making it look like he's out of biz.

So I'm just curious if given the 2 things above, a clean break with a new # might make sense???
(Not sure, just raising the question.)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Moving to New Location. Keep phone number? Moving or Name Changes 6
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Jason_Parks1 Moving Locations Google My Business & Google Maps 4
jpayne7 Business Moved Before GMB Verification (Postcard is Being Sent to Old Location) Moving or Name Changes 7
Jim Froling Moving to a Containing Location Moving or Name Changes 5
M Business Suspended for Using Virtual Address, Moving to New Real Location Moving or Name Changes 4
FriarTuck00 Moving, but Might Reopen Old Location Later - What to Do? Moving or Name Changes 1
MonicaH SAB moving from primary target location to non-target location - best way to handle GMB? Moving or Name Changes 4
j_holtslander Solved: Simultaneous multi-location moves Google My Business & Google Maps 12
J Dental practice moving to a new location Moving or Name Changes 11
Ted J. Merging Two Business Listings to One Location on Yelp - Moving Reviews Across Listings Local Search 8
Linda Buquet Heads Up - Google Either Moving OR Removing Search Location Setting Local Search 53
E Moving Location and Changing from Storefront to SAB Service Area Businesses 3
E.Dieter Martin Moving Location and Changing from Storefront to SAB Service Area Businesses 3
J Client moves office to a new location a few streets away Moving or Name Changes 6
Jo Shaer Client moves office to a new location a few streets away Moving or Name Changes 6
Chris Ratchford Moving to a new location- Local Search 3
Daniel C Berman Client Moved - Google+ Local shows updated Address but Old Location Help & Support for Google Local 15
L Moving Locations and Dealing with Local Search Moving or Name Changes 0
Linda Buquet Moving Locations and Dealing with Local Search Moving or Name Changes 0
Chris Ratchford UHGGG. Client moved to new location- Now Google maps to residential neighborhood Help & Support for Google Local 8
billenross Moving from franchise to independent All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
rich_marlatt What is the GMB best practice for moving offices? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Jeffrey Marking GMB as moved Moving or Name Changes 12
AndySimpson Your insights are moving - New Look for Insight Reports NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
A LSAs Moving to Auction Paid Search and Local Service Ads 12
rossdunn Verifying Business Moving Guidelines All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
SmallBizGeek Moved a business to a new address, but no confirmation PIN? Moving or Name Changes 1
raellovepie Map Snippet - KP under Popular Times | GMB moving it down? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Zdenek Horak Spam Moving company stehovanikutilek.cz Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Caroline S Maps Results Moving Down The Page? Anyone Else Seeing This ? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
mikepetersonwi Temporary move? Moving or Name Changes 1
jpayne7 Business Planning on Moving Multiple Times in Short Timeframe Moving or Name Changes 2
Scott ClientClicks Move + Name Change: Possible to keep GMB? Moving or Name Changes 3
Rich Owings Moving SAB long distance Moving or Name Changes 9
M SAB Moving - Best Practices for 2020 Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter New features in Search Console to help you move your site Moving or Name Changes 0
A SAB Moving - Best Practices for 2020 Moving or Name Changes 2
Rich Owings SAB with hidden address moving their office - How to handle in GMB? Service Area Businesses 5
G Moved my business and listing got suspended. Why? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Hammer Review stars missing and reviews section moved down Local Search 3
kathleen.rhodes What to do with a GMB listing after purchasing a business and moving there Moving or Name Changes 2
Jen Currier Can Facebook Reviews be moved from one Company Page to another? Local Reviews 2
J Business moving offices after suspension Moving or Name Changes 9
SmallBizGeek Google forums moving to new platform - save your old content Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
OnlineLobstar GMB Performance Keep Going Down After Moving to Service Areas Service Area Businesses 2
ChristianRdz Moved business, listing was suspended and reinstated but lost all reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 6
J Best way to move content to new page. Websites, Software, and Security 2
J Trouble moving my website up in rank. Local Search 28