JSammon512

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks again for your help. We are in the suburbs of a city (very much outside of the city limits) and are opening up a new location downtown.

We've created a new GMB profile and have it verified. I'm sure it varies but how long does it typically take to see that new profile appear in local SERPS?

Our location in the burbs has a ton of reviews and I'm not sure I want to merge the two or transfer the reviews to the downtown location. We're just trying to stay patient and build up the new profile.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
John

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey John,

Google won't allow you to merge the listings unless the first office no longer exists. New locations generally rank right away if a person searching is closely. The listing will have almost no prominence though so it won't rank well if the searcher's location is farther away. The best way to gain prominence is through reviews and links so that is what I would focus on.

Reaction score
Hey John,

Google won't allow you to merge the listings unless the first office no longer exists. New locations generally rank right away if a person searching is closely. The listing will have almost no prominence though so it won't rank well if the searcher's location is farther away. The best way to gain prominence is through reviews and links so that is what I would focus on.

Do you think it could have anything to do with Possum? I have read that on a few other forums with similar issues. The office is downtown with similar businesses nearby.

Reaction score
If the listing is showing up nowhere it definitely could be filtered. It's hard to say without knowing any specifics.

Hmm, ya that is hard to say. We are ranking organically well but nothing on the map, it's a marketing agency in downtown Cleveland: Google Maps

Listing was verified a little less than a month ago and we've been proactive in getting reviews, adding posts and photos, etc.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm not sure what keyword you searched but I tried "SEO Company Cleveland" from that zip code and I'm getting the other office location. I've seen this for a client recently where their old, established listing is ranking instead of the newer location that is closer to the location I'm searching. I'd suggest testing the landing page you're sending people to on the GMB listing. Currently, both listings go to the homepage - I'd see if you can get the new location ranking better by linking it to a location page instead.

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
This seems to happen frequently where the algorithm will prefer to display the older established listing and ignore the newer listing. The only suggestion I can provide is to make sure the algorithm has as much data as possible about the new listing. For example, making sure citations are generated for the newer location.
I had never thought of it, but as Joy mentioned, maybe setting the associated website of the newer GMB listing to a specific location instead page might help as well.

Reaction score
This seems to happen frequently where the algorithm will prefer to display the older established listing and ignore the newer listing. The only suggestion I can provide is to make sure the algorithm has as much data as possible about the new listing. For example, making sure citations are generated for the newer location.
I had never thought of it, but as Joy mentioned, maybe setting the associated website of the newer GMB listing to a specific location instead page might help as well.

Interesting! We have done our due diligence in getting all the local citations are in place and suppressing any duplicates/old business listings for the location, but the idea of a different landing page like Joy mentioned is interesting and definitely worth testing.

Thank you both for the advice!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Not Able to Re-Open Location?? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
rhowe If you have a physical location for one brand, but open another ecommerce store, can you set up a GMB listing? Service Area Businesses 7
P Multi-location business - How can I update my GMB opening times for All my locations in one go ? Multi-Location Issues 3
J Physician retired but business location still open Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dustybones Google Is Now Supporting Open Location Codes Google My Business & Google Maps 0
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Greg Bernhardt Inputting open 24hr in bulk import spreadsheet Google My Business & Google Maps 3
A Repeatedly being marked as open by Google Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Cordell Crowley Re-opening "Temporarily Closed" Listings Stuck in "Under Review" Google My Business & Google Maps 3
TriciaClements Temporarily Closed - How easy is it to Re-Open? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Ellen See More Hours - Clicking on this doesn't open panel in SERP Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Y How to open a Google Business Page for franchise? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
annatindal GMB Recommendation for #1 Local Pack Attorney opening Firm with other Attorneys Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Open PDF attachments in your browser or default PDF app Recycle Bin 0
Lanerizz Opening Soon Feature Question NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
FriarTuck00 Opening Soon - Create or Wait? Citations 4
Conor Treacy Client Closed Business, now re-opening with same name Moving or Name Changes 4
W Thinking about opening second branch Multi-Location Issues 11
Tim Colling Guard Against “Opening Date” Negative SEO Google My Business & Google Maps 20
Noelle Leahy When a second clinic opens in the same city Multi-Location Issues 5
Cherie Dickey Map opening in new tab as an image? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
N Scheduling GMB Profiles to Open on a Future Date? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
TomW Suggest an edit option "Not open yet" Google News: Important Changes & Features 9
H HVAC company bought another company - keep website open? Local Search 5
J Local Map Pack - Losing Leads Because of Opening Hours Local Search 3
rosie.brightlocal Open Now for Responses: BrightLocal's Local Search Industry Survey Local Search 2
Bruce Bird Opening hours for private bookings Local Search 2
Tim Colling Google?s job listings search is now open to all job search sites & developers Local Search 2
H Opening an office in a new town. . . new site, or same site Local Search 4
Robin GMB - Picture of opening hours Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Garrett Sussman Open House: A Glimpse Inside Angie's List's Unlocked Community Local Reviews 12
B Variable Opening Times Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B Opening hours Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Google Open Invite: Google My Business Discussion Panel at the Plex Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Colan Nielsen Update: Close & Open Listings Within GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Dustybones DUPE: Google Map Maker Edits Officially Open In Six Countries Recycle Bin 1
HurricaneK8 Open Source Search Engine-- Is it possible? What would it look like? Good/Bad? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
Lloyd Silver Business not quite open - when to kick off the campaign Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J Business Yet to Open Google My Business & Google Maps 7
djbaxter jv16 PowerTools goes open source Websites, Software, and Security 0
Linda Buquet Google Maps Preview OPEN To All - Get Ready! Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Rebrand or Name Change - Map Maker Says Open New & Close Old Moving or Name Changes 28
Linda Buquet Rebrand or Name Change - Map Maker Says Open New & Close Old Moving or Name Changes 28
m_j_gregory 'Open 24 Hours' Content Showing On Local Listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Chris Ratchford Google Ads- Local Pack- one GMB location only? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
R Merging two separate locations into one new one Citations 3
EduarddeBoer Problem with two different locations having same address Google My Business & Google Maps 9
M Some questions with GMB and multiple locations Multi-Location Issues 1
Shelly Pros & Cons of Facebook Locations for Local SEO (for a Credit Union) Multi-Location Issues 3
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3