Page experience: a new Google ranking factor

Edwin Toonen, Yoast.com
Nov 15, 2020

In 2010, Google announced that it would take site speed into account while determining rankings. In 2018, Google followed up with the page speed ranking factor in the mobile search results. Now, Google announces a new update that looks at a variety of new or updated metrics — combined with other user experience factors, to form the page experience update.

Enter Web Vitals​

Early May 2020, Google announced Web Vitals — a thoroughly researched set of metrics to help anyone determine opportunities to improve the experience of their sites. Within those new metrics, there is a subset of metrics every site owner should focus on, the so-called Core Web Vitals. According to Google, “Core Web Vitals are a set of real-world, user-centered metrics that quantify key aspects of the user experience.”

Each Core Web Vital looks at a specific piece of the page experience puzzle and together they help both Google and yourself make sense of the perceived experience of a site. Core Web Vitals are available in all Google tools that measure the page experience.

The Core Web Vitals will evolve over time and new ones might be added in due time. For 2020, Google identified three specific focal points:
  • Loading,
  • Interactivity,
  • Visual stability.
These focal points correspond with three new metrics:
  • LCP, or Largest Contentful Paint: This metric tells how long it takes for the largest content element you see in the viewport to load.
  • FID, or First Input Delay: The FID looks at how long it takes for a browser to respond to an interaction first triggered by the user (clicking a button, for instance)
  • CLS, or Cumulative Layout Shift: This new metric measures the percentage of the screen affected by movement — i.e. does stuff jump around on screen?
web-core-vitals-2020-768x223.jpg

The new Core Web Vitals are aimed helping you improve the page experience of your site (image Google)

As you see, these core metrics don’t simply look at how fast something loads. They also look at how long it takes for elements to become ready to use. The Cumulative Layout Shift is the most forward-thinking of the bunch. This has nothing to do with speed, but everything with preventing a bad user experience — like hitting a wrong button, because an ad loaded at the final moment.

Combined, these factors take into account everything a user experiences on a website to try to come up with a holistic picture of the performance of your site, as Google likes to say.

page-experience-ranking-factors-google-768x461.jpg

The Core Web Vitals are combined with existing ranking factors to form the page experience factors (image Google)

Of course, this is just another way for Google to get a sense of how good your site is and it might be easy to overstate the importance of this particular update. It’s still going to be impossible to rank a site with a great user experience but crappy content. While the quality of your content still reigns supreme in getting good rankings, the performance and perceived experience users have now also come into play. With these metrics, Google has found a way to get a whole lot of insights that look at your site from all angles.

No more AMP requirements for Top Stories​

You can find another interesting tidbit regarding the page experience update. Google will no longer require AMP for getting your news pages in the Top Stories section. Now, any well-built, Google News-validated site can aim for that top spot. Page experience will become a ranking factor for Top Stories, so your site better be good.

New page experience tools? You got it!​

Google went all out for to get every site owner to adapt to the page experience changes. New or updated tools help you get the insights you need. They also help you to make sense of what it all means.

Full article: Read more...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Google Page Experience Signals for Ranking Apply Only to Mobile Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Core Web Vitals and the Page Experience Update Google Algorithm Discussions 7
H anyone have experience with facebook multi-location business pages Local Search 2
Marie Haynes Have you experimented with plugins to improve page speed? Organic SEO 21
djbaxter Page Load Speed as a Ranking vs User Experience Factor Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Bug in recent versions of Chrome and Edge: More blank pages Websites, Software, and Security 2
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
k.ivanova Wikipedia page associated with old brand KP Ranking Puzzles 2
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Site has higher DA and more backlinks than sites on 1st page and still not on 1st page Local Search 5
Nicole Basham Cons of Removing Second FB Page Profile/"Extra" Twitter account for Local SAB? Mobile & Social 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NexstarNickR Wikipedia pages Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
N 54 city pages for small business website Local Search 7
ChristianRdz Redirecting a ranking page to another site Organic SEO 4
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
sixthcitysarah Anyone know much on in-page PHP coded redirects? Websites, Software, and Security 1
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
A Facebook page rating keeps fluctuating Local Reviews 5
ChristianRdz Page Title & Meta Description On No-Index Pages Organic SEO 9
C Help with service page optimization Organic SEO 20
H For many queries, the home page shows up - not the targetted page Local Search 2
H Home page and create map Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Ben Walsh Near me on page optimization Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
C About Us page Local Content 3
ladykal Is this bad practice? Multiple location landing pages but 1 office location Organic SEO 5
starter_70 Are GMB posts not showing on SERP or Maps page? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Ben Walsh 2 location business onpage strategy, homepage vs service pages vs location pages Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
P Is it possible to create a second GMB page for a new business based at same address and landline? Multi-Location Issues 1
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
P Creating Content Silo to improve Category Page (Best Practice Query) Local Content 1
MKubot Google Maps Embed on Landing Page - Helpful? Google Local 101 4
Ryan Steinolfson Practitioner's Page - Using a Cell Phone number for the listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Local Search 1
Ben Walsh Is the reason this page is ranking above a better page because of DR? (ahrefs) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
A Our Google My Business got disabled for unknown reasons. Here is my page, any suggestions? (photo included) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
coachmarino Correct Map to Embed in Local Landing Pages Local Search 4
Caroline S Maps Results Moving Down The Page? Anyone Else Seeing This ? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
ganapathy Test Error: Page Load Timeout Forum Tech Support 2
georgebizpro What are your favorite on-page local SEO tactics? Local Search 2
Jens Multiple local pages for the same location? Local Content 1
RobertCarnitas Help Needed: Export/Copy List of Facebook Pages Managed Mobile & Social 4
H Home page versus service area pages Local Search 5
E Re-naming Facebook Location Pages for a Multi-Location Brand Citations 11
Callmenicholi You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action. Contact Us Messages 2
Creativedge Is the Facebook page name important for local search? Local Search 1
diptimayee Google Updated Its "How Search Works" Page Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
A Facebook Page Lost Access Mobile & Social 3