John C

Reaction score
So my Places account was recently suspended most likely for a category violation. (I am a locksmith, and I had put "car keys" as a category).

I'm re-listing with a new account. I really want to do this perfectly right this time. I have two other issues that I'm not 100% sure about:

1. Suite # on Line 2 of address.

I had previously had this just tacked on to the end of line 1. Not sure if this had anything to do with the suspension but I'm following the guidelines to the letter this time, so I put it in line 2.

My question now is: Will this affect matching the address with existing NAP citations that I have in the old (all on one line) format? Should this even matter since my address is HIDDEN? Will it matter even if it's not supposed to? I don't think there's always an address line 2 available in citations.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to just not include the suite # in citations. That way line 1 would always match up?

2. Google Voice number as main phone number.

From the quality guidelines:
"Do not provide phone numbers or URLs that redirect or ?refer? users to landing pages or phone numbers other than those of the actual business"

I had previously had a G Voice # as main phone number(local area code) and routed it to my cell number (which is from another area code). From what I've read using G Voice might be questionable. I've now changed my cell number to a local area code. Does it make any difference where the G Voice number is routed? I've considered my GVoice # to be my business # from the start. It's on all my business card, my service van, etc...

Would it be ok to keep the GV # as main number now that it redirects to a local number? Or would it be advisable to put my new local number as the main number and have the GV# as alternate?

Or does any of this even matter?

Not sure but I can't afford to lose the listing again, so I've got to be cautious.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi John,

I could be wrong here, but IMO, I think you are over-thinking this a little too much given the fact that you have had your places account suspended due to guideline violations. I would simply focus on giving Google the most accurate information about your business, while following the guidelines and not worry so much about some of the details that at the end of the day is based on giving Google what you think she wants, as opposed to feeding her what would deliver the best user experience.

With that said, your questions are very good ones, and those kinds of questions are what this forum is all about, so I hope someone else chimes in to answer them :)

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
John I always think it's important to follow the guidelines, but if you've already been suspended and are in an industry under heavy scrutiny, I say you MUST to a T.

1) Suite on line 2 IS in the guidelines now so you need to do it, no ifs ands or buts. IMO. Yes it's newer and yes many had it on line one and no I don't think they would suspend because of that. BUT you are setting up new. And it's in the NEW version of guidelines. Don't worry about citations too much. They should still match up whether line 1 or 2 on citation sources.

2) IF you had a long term local land line and just wanted to switch to GV I'd say no. I generally recommend not using G voice BUT if that's the number I see listed on your site, you have tons of citations for it, so it's the number you've been using consistently, then it should be fine. Don't think it matters where it's routed.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Justin Mosebach Google Maps Lists (Saved Places) Google My Business & Google Maps 0
T Multiple Google Places Listing Help Help & Support for Google Local 1
C Best Ways to Find Duplicate Google Places/Plus Listings (Post Pigeon) Google Duplicates & Merges 10
Colan Nielsen Best Ways to Find Duplicate Google Places/Plus Listings (Post Pigeon) Google Duplicates & Merges 10
M Made Google+, then Google Places, now I have 2 listings? Help & Support for Google Local 10
B How to Claim a Google+ Places Listing for the New Business Owner? Help & Support for Google Local 7
Travis Van Slooten How Do We Create NEW Google Places Listings in 2014? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Chris Ratchford Warning Email re Google Places Duplicate Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 53
Linda Buquet How to Create Fake Google Places Listings - Getting Google's Attention to Stop Spam Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Margaret Ornsby Is this new? Google May Delete Your Places Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 39
C Linking to the actual Google Places listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Susan Walsh New Business - Start off with Places For Business Listings or Google+ Local Page? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Larry Do I need a Google Places Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
F Can't get my competitors illegitimate Google Places listing removed!! pls help!! Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Matthew Newman Google moving listings out of the Places for Business Dashboard? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tom Bristol New Practice - Google+ Business Listing or Google Places Google My Business & Google Maps 2
R Not Yet Published Google Places Listings Help & Support for Google Local 1
Optimize Prime Google allowing Management of Places Listings. Can anyone else confirm? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Local Search News Curator How to Delete Your Google Places for Business Dashboard Listing in One Easy Step (Or Google My Business & Google Maps 4
L Adding New Listings in the New Google Places Dashboard - Minor Update NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
Linda Buquet Adding New Listings in the New Google Places Dashboard - Minor Update NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
Chris Ratchford "For $5000 we can post reviews to your Google Places listing!" Snake Oil Salesmen Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Local Search News Curator Google Now Auto-Merging Google+ Pages Into Google Places Dashboard Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 0
DanLeibson How to remove listings from the new Google Places dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 8
johncrenshaw Deleting Unverified Listings in the new Google+Local / Places Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Uploading Images on Google Places listing Help & Support for Google Local 2
S Uploading images on Google Places listing Help & Support for Google Local 7
Linda Buquet Major Update - New Google Places Dashboard - All-in-one Local Listing Management Google My Business & Google Maps 101
Colan Nielsen Accidentally Triggered a Google Places Verification After Listing Has Been Merged Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Andrew Forster Updated Google+ Dashboard - Claiming Places Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Travis Van Slooten "Fake" Addresses for Google Places Listings - What's The Worse That Could Happen? Local Search 13
Andrew Forster No listing in Places Dasbhoard when creating business through Google+ - Bug? Local Search 6
Vijay Marathe Google Places listing for a real agent has the same address as that of his principal Local Search 8
R Rank a Google Places Listing for 1 City in Surrounding Cities Local Search 6
G Is it possible to rank a client's Google Places listing in top 7 without a website? Help & Support for Google Local 10
PSTimB Google Place vs Google+ Local Business Listing Help & Support for Google Local 1
R Google Places Dashboard Shows Same Impressions/Actions Stats for 2 Listings Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet Google Places Merged Listings Analogy Local Search 0
R Overcoming New Google Places Duplicate Listing Problems for Dentists, Doctors, Attorn Recycle Bin 0
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 13
Professor M Is Google thinking of adding payment capabilities to GMB listings/website? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
Caroline S 1 Service Area Business, 10 Listings, Several Redressals Reported, No Action From Google - Help! Help & Support for Google Local 7
nathangdavidson Is having more than one GMB listing actually against Google guidelines? Spam on Google 9
Jeffrey Google Showing Doctor Listing instead of Office Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Lanerizz Help For Pending Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4