Conor Treacy

Reaction score
Admins, please move post as needed, I wasn't sure where to post this.

Just received a text;

"Hi Conor. I noticed you do a lot of reviews on Google. I will pay you $40 to do reviews just like the one you did at the Fernston Downtown. I can pay you via cash App or any other type of payment you choose. I will have several reviews that you will be able to do if you are interested in getting paid. I can even pay you half up front! Feel free to call or text. Thanks!"

In the text they included a copy of the image posted here.

So, my reviews are worth $40 - that's nice. But it's definitely spam. Is there a place to report on something like this? Do I just expose their phone number here? :)

Of course, the default gut reaction is to ignore and delete, but at the same time, here's an opportunity to bust a spammer which I spend many hours fighting fake reviews and businesses online to begin with.

388616593296727303.jpg

keyserholiday

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Don't do it. These people can and do post negative reviews. I have seen too many horror stories. It's best to just ignore them or forward me the offer.

Conor Treacy

Reaction score
Don't do it.

Oh, not a chance in hell that I'd be doing it. As I said, I spend hours fighting fake reviews and fake listings - the last thing I'd be doing is generating one myself.

I'll send you a PM with the phone number that came in via text (not sure where they found my cellphone number either unless it's tied to my Google profile/Google Local Guides section - or they could have done a web search).

keyserholiday

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I meant don't message them back. It's safer to ignore them.

Conor Treacy

Reaction score
Oh for sure, no reply from my end - just seeing if there's a resource to submit these kinds of places, much like I do with robo calls etc

keyserholiday

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
You can report the text to the FTC but it will only work if the person is in the US.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU

Most UpVoted Answers

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Google Product Exert

Top Bottom