More threads by Rog

Rog

Reaction score
I have a bit of a puzzle and a Google search hasn't offered a clear answer.

A new restaurant is opening at an address previously occupied by a different restaurant. They haven't set up a GMB listing yet. The old restaurant GMB listing still shows if you search the old restaurant name on Google Maps. It shows as permanently closed and the GMB listing is not claimed. Reviews for the old restaurant were poor.

Would it be best for the new business to claim the old business' GMB listing, then ask Google to delete it? Will this stop it showing on Google Maps completely?

Should the new business wait until that has been done before setting up their new GMB listing?

Thanks

I would definitely suggest an edit to close the old restaurant if they have shut down. I would do that before setting up the new listing. It should only rank for branded terms (ie: people searching for the old restaurant by name).

Thanks for your reply. The old restaurant is already showing as 'Permanently Closed' and is not claimed. Yes, it currently only shows if people search for it by name.

I was wondering if the new owners could/should claim it and then request for it to be deleted, in case it affects how Google sees their new listing, being at the same address. Is that needed? Is there an option to have a listing completely deleted/removed from Google Maps anyway?

Hey Rog,

No, I would not suggest doing that at all if it's a different business. Google won't delete it - they want to keep a record of it in case people wonder what happened to it.

Reactions: Rog
Hey Rog,

No, I would not suggest doing that at all if it's a different business. Google won't delete it - they want to keep a record of it in case people wonder what happened to it.
Hi Joy, I’m just curious about this. I know that a lot of times when people close their business it will show the listing and say permanently closed when you search for their business name.

But I also have seen when a person closes their business it says permanently closed for a few hours, then it’s completely deleted. Or at least it’s invisible. No matter how I search for the name it won’t come up anymore.

Do you know what the difference is? Why it sometimes deletes it?

It can depend greatly on the business type. For physical locations like restaurants, it should not be invisible.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom