More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
We have a new client onboarded with us, and they provide RV Repair and Maintenance services. They are a home-based business, and I am trying to figure out how we can create a new Google Business Profile for them and what should be the primary category. I have done some initial competitor research and come to the conclusion that home-based businesses can't pick RV Repair Shop as the primary category. They have to have a physical store to set this category. The other competitors who have a home-based GBP picked Repair Service as the primary category for their business.

Please suggest the best way to move forward.

I had a client that was a mobile rv repair service business a couple of years ago. There used to be a category for mobile rv repair service and that is what we used for his business. Then Google got rid of the mobile rv repair business category along with other similar mobile services like auto glass and tires. When they removed the mobile rv repair service category Google changed it to rv repair service. You may be seeing some businesses doing your competitor research that were mobile repair shops but Google changed them when they dropped the mobile rv service category.

Not an answer for you but just wanted to provide some history on the category.

Google now has only RV Repair Shop as the category. Is there a way we can use this category while keeping the address in GBP at the same time? If not, what GBP category should we go with?
I had a client that was a mobile rv repair service business a couple of years ago. There used to be a category for mobile rv repair service and that is what we used for his business. Then Google got rid of the mobile rv repair business category along with other similar mobile services like auto glass and tires. When they removed the mobile rv repair service category Google changed it to rv repair service. You may be seeing some businesses doing your competitor research that were mobile repair shops but Google changed them when they dropped the mobile rv service category.

Not an answer for you but just wanted to provide some history on the category.

Google now has only RV Repair Shop as the category. Is there a way we can use this category while keeping the address hidden in GBP at the same time? If not, what GBP category should we go with?

Google now has only RV Repair Shop as the category. Is there a way we can use this category while keeping the address hidden in GBP at the same time? If not, what GBP category should we go with?

No, I believe you would have to keep the address visible in order to use the category.

No, I believe you would have to keep the address visible in order to use the category.

Can’t he just make the address visible to accomplish this? I know that this is against Google guidelines, but my understanding is that Google usually doesn’t do anything when service area businesses show their address, and many times it could lead to better rankings.

We ultimately created a home-based GBP and used repair service as the primary category. Since they are home-based and can't use "shop" in their categories, does it make sense to use the following secondary categories in the GBP to see some improvements in the rankings?

Oil change service
Wheel alignment service
Mechanic
Auto tune-up service

If there are any other relevant categories we could use, please suggest.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom