More threads by ARC

ARC

Reaction score
Hi

I am a Website Designer and I own a website. I bought a SEO friendly domain recently and I was just wondering if I need to build new website on it or I can just point my this domain to my old domain? How will that effect my GMB ?My old site is on GMB .

Will the SEO friendly URL increase my ranking ,what should be my best approach.
Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Arc

Solution
@ARC, depends what you mean by "point":

1. As in forwarding. If you just forward (via your registrar) the old domain to the newly-bought one, that won't help your rankings.

2. As in building a site on the newly domain and adding some links to your old/current site. That may help you if the new domain itself has a good links profile. It could be another decent link, and in combination with good and relevant links from other sites might give you a small bump.

3. As in 301-redirecting the new domain to the old/current one. That will only help you insofar as the new domain has good links pointing to it (i.e. some link juice). If it's just a domain and doesn't have a solid backlinks profile in its own right, then 301-ing...
@ARC, depends what you mean by "point":

1. As in forwarding. If you just forward (via your registrar) the old domain to the newly-bought one, that won't help your rankings.

2. As in building a site on the newly domain and adding some links to your old/current site. That may help you if the new domain itself has a good links profile. It could be another decent link, and in combination with good and relevant links from other sites might give you a small bump.

3. As in 301-redirecting the new domain to the old/current one. That will only help you insofar as the new domain has good links pointing to it (i.e. some link juice). If it's just a domain and doesn't have a solid backlinks profile in its own right, then 301-ing it won't help you.

Solution
There is an infinite number of links out there, and the ways you can go about getting them are too many count.

It's a case-by-case question, and totally depends on your situation and goals. I can't say what strategies will be practical for you to work on, yield good links, and be doable long-term. In general, I've found that if you can do a couple of local sponsorships, join a professional organization or two and/or a local Chamber of Commerce, get on industry-specific directories that happen to offer "follow" links (e.g. GreatSchools, PsychologyToday, HG.org, etc.), and work on HARO outreach long-term, you'll be at least in the ballgame. If you offer CareCredit financing, that's a good link. If you're a member of the state Bar Association, that's usually a good one. If you can get on ThreeBestRated, that's a good link (and a good review site to be on).

It helps that most people's competitors aren't very good at earning links, so the level of competition is pretty low most of the time.

Of course, there are many other good ways to get links, and some of my clients are down for some of them. If that's the case with you, great.

But in general you should keep it real simple. A variety of dumb, simple approaches is what you want. The elaborate outreach strategy, and the infographics, and the 16-posts-a-month blogging, etc. sound good on paper but usually don't work out. Your ways to earn links shouldn't consume all your money, time, or brainpower, because you'll need to sustain them over months or years.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom