ARC

Reaction score
Hi

I am a Website Designer and I own a website. I bought a SEO friendly domain recently and I was just wondering if I need to build new website on it or I can just point my this domain to my old domain? How will that effect my GMB ?My old site is on GMB .

Will the SEO friendly URL increase my ranking ,what should be my best approach.
Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Arc

Solution
@ARC, depends what you mean by "point":

1. As in forwarding. If you just forward (via your registrar) the old domain to the newly-bought one, that won't help your rankings.

2. As in building a site on the newly domain and adding some links to your old/current site. That may help you if the new domain itself has a good links profile. It could be another decent link, and in combination with good and relevant links from other sites might give you a small bump.

3. As in 301-redirecting the new domain to the old/current one. That will only help you insofar as the new domain has good links pointing to it (i.e. some link juice). If it's just a domain and doesn't have a solid backlinks profile in its own right...

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@ARC, depends what you mean by "point":

1. As in forwarding. If you just forward (via your registrar) the old domain to the newly-bought one, that won't help your rankings.

2. As in building a site on the newly domain and adding some links to your old/current site. That may help you if the new domain itself has a good links profile. It could be another decent link, and in combination with good and relevant links from other sites might give you a small bump.

3. As in 301-redirecting the new domain to the old/current one. That will only help you insofar as the new domain has good links pointing to it (i.e. some link juice). If it's just a domain and doesn't have a solid backlinks profile in its own right, then 301-ing it won't help you.

Solution

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
There is an infinite number of links out there, and the ways you can go about getting them are too many count.

It's a case-by-case question, and totally depends on your situation and goals. I can't say what strategies will be practical for you to work on, yield good links, and be doable long-term. In general, I've found that if you can do a couple of local sponsorships, join a professional organization or two and/or a local Chamber of Commerce, get on industry-specific directories that happen to offer "follow" links (e.g. GreatSchools, PsychologyToday, HG.org, etc.), and work on HARO outreach long-term, you'll be at least in the ballgame. If you offer CareCredit financing, that's a good link. If you're a member of the state Bar Association, that's usually a good one. If you can get on ThreeBestRated, that's a good link (and a good review site to be on).

It helps that most people's competitors aren't very good at earning links, so the level of competition is pretty low most of the time.

Of course, there are many other good ways to get links, and some of my clients are down for some of them. If that's the case with you, great.

But in general you should keep it real simple. A variety of dumb, simple approaches is what you want. The elaborate outreach strategy, and the infographics, and the 16-posts-a-month blogging, etc. sound good on paper but usually don't work out. Your ways to earn links shouldn't consume all your money, time, or brainpower, because you'll need to sustain them over months or years.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ganapathy Wix Platform From SEO point of view Websites, Software, and Security 4
ganapathy Splitting multiple websites from one umbrella site is, What are the pros and cons from SEO Point of view? Marketing 7
Craig McBreen Two businesses, different names, point to same website Google Duplicates & Merges 1
W Can you point to a different URL from within a GMB without it getting suspended? Moving or Name Changes 3
Jac New Feature >> Got an email from Google >> New! Earn Local Guides points for amazing lists Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tim Colling Is there any point in reporting fake review companies like this one? Local Search Experts Forum 7
Garrett Sussman Your Review Management Pitch Deck: Stats, Themes, and Selling Points Local Reviews 5
Garrett Sussman The 3 Biggest Pain Points For Your Clients Local Reviews 2
Local Search News Curator Reported Problems with Search Point UK and Google Business Pages - Online Ownership Recycle Bin 0
B What pages should GMB listings point to? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
MarketingGiant New Local Tour / Points of Interest SERP Local Search 1
J Incorrect City for Google Points of Interest Carousel Google My Business & Google Maps 3
CodyBaird New for Local Guides: Earn points in 5 ways Local Reviews 4
JoyHawkins 53 Helpful Points about Title Tags Local Search 2
mborgelt What is the tipping point for spammy backlinks negatively effecting local rankings? Local Search 8
Colan Nielsen Local SERP's Now Pointing To Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 21
L Service Area Business DELETED - Google+ Local Support Saga Proves My Points Service Area Businesses 1
Linda Buquet Service Area Business DELETED - Google+ Local Support Saga Proves My Points Service Area Businesses 1
Shelly Pros & Cons of Facebook Locations for Local SEO (for a Credit Union) Multi-Location Issues 3
rich_marlatt What Wordpress plugins do you recommend for SEO and Schema Markup? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
brettmandoes Hiring SEO Analyst - Full Time - Remote Accepted Local SEO Job Board 1
Annika Neudecker One year later, is your GMB/local SEO traffic still up? Local Search 3
Chandra What is the state of reputation management in SEO and marketing? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
david.victor Best SEO/GMB Reporting Tools for Outreach? Consultant's Corner 4
B SEO A/B Testing is possible... And it is easier than you think Recycle Bin 0
J Voice SEO suggestions? Organic SEO 2
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
Kayla Adam Canadian Local SEO Agency Needed Local Search 3
shively Microsoft Clarity (Local SEO heatmap tool) Local Search 2
djbaxter Webinar Technical SEO Help Hour Oct. 28 Events 0
djbaxter Take the 2020 Local SEO Blackbelt Quiz Events 0
C The value of a blog on a website for local SEO Local Search 58
N Local SEO for Franchisee Local Search 4
D SEO Audit Expert / Consultant Needed Local SEO Job Board 1
djbaxter SEO Cheat Sheet for Small Businesses Organic SEO 0
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
djbaxter Do SEOs Blindly Believe Google's John Mueller? Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Google on Canonicalization: SEO Mythbusting Organic SEO 0
djbaxter SEO myth-busting: What is NOT a Google search ranking factor Organic SEO 3
djbaxter What SEOs get wrong about Google updates Google Algorithm Discussions 0
georgebizpro What are your favorite on-page local SEO tactics? Local Search 2
Monica Simpson Local SEO Professional ZOOM - July 17th Events 6
CraigJMount 10-Minute Survey Request for People Who Have Hired SEO Agencies Local Search 1
Andrew Shotland Local SEO Guide is Hiring a Sr Director of SEO Local SEO Job Board 0
Monica Simpson Last Local SEO Zoom Friday July 10 Events 0