More threads by HoosierBuff

Reaction score
hi all,

I have a garage door company that I am working with, and I want to create new pages for each time they complete an interesting/noteworthy project. The idea is that we would have a page for "Wood style garage door near Carson City" and "Carriage style garage door near reno". Each page would have an image, and I'm thinking a short paragraph, like three sentences about the project.

What are the best practices for this? Right now when I look around I typically see two things that bug me:

1. Just a simple Gallery that was some kind of wordpress theme or plugin, that doesn't create unique pages.

2. Some sites have a "projects" page, but, it has all the projects on one single page. I think they should be on a different page.

What are some of the best practices here. I'm thinking:

1. One page per project
2. 3-5 sentences about the project.
3. Maybe 10-20 projects total
4. Main nav links to a project page, which in turn links to the individual projects (would be hard to have 10-20 links to individual projects).

Or. . . would it be better just to have 5 good recent projects with several paragraphs and more explanatory text.

I've seen something like that work very well for wedding photographers getting organic traffic for venues. From what I've seen, the big winners are the ones with a category page, presumably in part because it means a better internal linking structure going to the central page. You can have your sub pages with some text and a photographer, and a main category page that, among other content, pulls in images and text from new projects that've been tagged appropriately. You could beef up those category pages to be more like a [local landing page](http://www.localsearchforum.com/loc...azing-local-landing-pages-list-them-here.html) in addition to pulling in the content from recent jobs you've made pages for.

With photographers, I've seen an even mix of a specific wedding post ranking for venue keywords, and category pages ranking, but photographers have the benefit of the one-off wedding page generating links on it's own right occasionally, so I think it would be easier to get a main category page ranking given your industry.

James,

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with what you say - I think having a category page is going to be key. I think I will simply use blog posts, but, then create a category page to link to the blog posts directly.

. . . speaking of weddings, I have a caterer that I work with, and there are SOOO MANY linking opportunities and other things you can do for them. It is a very link rich industry (and many of the biggest companies have poor SEO).

Hi,

I am working with a couple of caterers right now. Would be interested to learn more about your ideas about how to promote them.

Thanks!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom