More threads by BaggySEO

Reaction score
Hi there

Not sure if it's a prevalent thing in other areas, but this is the first example I've seen of this here in the UK.

Google 'South West Water' (a water and wastewater service provider around 1.7 million in the UK) and you'll find this unverified listing:
1580464847381.png

This number costs £2.50 to connect to, then charges 10p for a minute. After around 10 mins, someone answers and says you should "check the SWW website for the correct number"! The cheek!

I've tried reporting the listing and putting up a negative review. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this so brazenly on Google My Business? And whether anyone can help me get it removed? Someone must be coining it in from the unsuspecting public!

Just for info, I can see no record of an SWW office in Lostwithiel, and there is no Streetview for the street it's said to be on.

Many thanks,

J.

Hey @BaggySEO I can't say I have heard of that specific scam before. Have you tried reporting the listing using the Redressal Form?

Hi @BaggySEO

So this has been going on for years.

Its not actually the business - its 3rd parties that add high call rate numbers onto unclaimed listings. Which include banks, hospitals, doctors etc.

No one realises because the number does connect to the actual business.

In instances like this, I would suggest edit the correct tel number - because the location genuinely exists - its a water treatment plant for South West Water Ltd

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom