More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
We have a client who is a local business in Largo, Florida. Hybrid in nature, the business has a physical office with proper storefront signage at the Largo address. The client was not fully aware of the Google guidelines, so she created another GBP for her business using her home address in Tampa. Interestingly, she did not hide the address in the Tampa GBP. The Tampa GBP has got a good number of reviews, and when I checked the rankings for Tampa in the local search grid, surprisingly, they are ranking well in the grid as well.

Now, since we want to capitalize on those rankings and also don't want to lose the reviews, what should be the best way to move forward with this situation? Please provide your valuable feedback. I will be happy to share any other details if required.

We have a client who is a local business in Largo, Florida. Hybrid in nature, the business has a physical office with proper storefront signage at the Largo address. The client was not fully aware of the Google guidelines, so she created another GBP for her business using her home address in Tampa. Interestingly, she did not hide the address in the Tampa GBP. The Tampa GBP has got a good number of reviews, and when I checked the rankings for Tampa in the local search grid, surprisingly, they are ranking well in the grid as well.

Now, since we want to capitalize on those rankings and also don't want to lose the reviews, what should be the best way to move forward with this situation? Please provide your valuable feedback. I will be happy to share any other details if required.

Hi Matt, does the client actually work out of her home? What are the hours of operation at the home/Tampa GMB? Does she have signage? If she doesn't work in her home, during the hours of operation, actively working with customers, and has no signage then at best she's an SAB. If she isn't working from her Tampa home, but rather going to the Largo office to work, then her "Tampa" office isn't really eligible for a GPB listing.

I'm not saying other businesses aren't doing this all the time to get the benefit of better local pack and organic SERP, it happens all the time, but it is against Google's guidelines. If someone catches on and reports to Google, you and the client could be at risk of losing the Tampa GPB and the reviews. You may want to consider merging the two GPBs, especially if the client doesn't actually do business out of the home. I think you could be opening a different can of worms, if you were to considering changing the Tampa location to an SAB. I can't say for certain, but I think it is against guidelines to have an GBP (SAB) and a 2nd GBP (hybrid) in the same service area.

I'd also suggest reading this article: When Can Service-Based Businesses Have Multiple Google My Business Listings? - Sterling Sky Inc

Hi Matt, does the client actually work out of her home? What are the hours of operation at the home/Tampa GMB? Does she have signage? If she doesn't work in her home, during the hours of operation, actively working with customers, and has no signage then at best she's an SAB. If she isn't working from her Tampa home, but rather going to the Largo office to work, then her "Tampa" office isn't really eligible for a GPB listing.

I'm not saying other businesses aren't doing this all the time to get the benefit of better local pack and organic SERP, it happens all the time, but it is against Google's guidelines. If someone catches on and reports to Google, you and the client could be at risk of losing the Tampa GPB and the reviews. You may want to consider merging the two GPBs, especially if the client doesn't actually do business out of the home. I think you could be opening a different can of worms, if you were to considering changing the Tampa location to an SAB. I can't say for certain, but I think it is against guidelines to have an GBP (SAB) and a 2nd GBP (hybrid) in the same service area.

I'd also suggest reading this article: When Can Service-Based Businesses Have Multiple Google My Business Listings? - Sterling Sky Inc

Thanks, Jeff! This is really helpful. I will get back here if I have any further questions.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom