Caroline

Reaction score
Hi,
My client now has two GMB pages. I claimed the second one as it was out there and put it under the one ownership and email. The second one that I claimed has a slightly different name than the main GMB but it is the same business and address etc. The main one I had had 80+ reviews and this one I claimed has none.

The main one is called John Smith Plumbing and Heating with the reviews
The second one John Smith

Google says that I can remove the second one but it will still be visible. So I suggested merging them. But the GMB help says they need to be the same name and they can't merge unless is so,

So is it OK to rename the second one John Smith Heating and Plumbing and then ask for a merge? Is that the best way forward do you think?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks

Reaction score
Hey Caroline,

For duplicate listings you're exactly right that merging is probably the best move. You've already taken the necessary first step by claiming the 2nd listing. Now you can simply rename the other listing and Google will proceed with the merge.

Good luck.

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to rename the second listing so that it's an exact match. The listing will also need to be released before the merge can take place as well.

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi!

Google will ask you to delete the listing from your dashboard, which releases your ownership of it. They won't merge two verified listings as far as I know... it's been a while since I've completed a merge personally, so this may have changed, but I'm pretty sure this is the process.

JaraMoser

Reaction score
Cherie is correct - they will ask you to remove the 2nd duplicate listing from all users before they will merge the pages.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Is it possible to create a second GMB page for a new business based at same address and landline? Multi-Location Issues 1
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
P Correct procedure to merge GMB pages for same business following relocation Google Duplicates & Merges 8
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
starter_70 Are GMB posts not showing on SERP or Maps page? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
S Covid Test Info in GMB page Google My Business & Google Maps 2
MannyL GMB page website primary button keeps getting changed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Creativedge GMB page isn't working. Primary owner was suspended? Help & Support for Google Local 1
K Help to access GMB page where no longer own email address Help & Support for Google Local 3
MannyL GMB page website does not display services Help & Support for Google Local 4
M GMB link to homepage instead of building location pages to link to? Multi-Location Issues 8
Grabgooglesgoogles Changing GMB website from Facebook page to new website Help & Support for Google Local 11
Adam Bament Backlinks to GMB page?? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
freerunr Verbiage on Unclaimed GMB pages: "Own this business?" (KP) / "Claim this business" (Maps) vs. "Manage this listing" Google My Business & Google Maps 23
Annika Neudecker GMB listings not associating with address pages Google My Business & Google Maps 14
WAHamilton Can't verify GmB page or post on GmB forum about it... Help & Support for Google Local 2
pwarrenseo GMB Map Embed in Footer vs Landing Page Local Search 13
WAHamilton Auto shop GmB page ranking for 'skate sharpening' due to keyword in review Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Using Canonical on Affiliate GMB Landing Pages? Multi-Location Issues 7
D GMB Page Suspended (Contractor w/ Physical Location) Google My Business & Google Maps 8
WAHamilton Negative Review Attack on Client GMB Page Local Reviews 16
G My GMB is not in the first page another company is alone in the right page of search Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet New GMB update shows "Views over past 28 days" on Dashboard home page Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H A GMB test - URL to home page or to location page - results Local Search 10
elwalker Benefit of Matching Target Search Term for GMB on Key Website Page Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Paul Abrahams New Brand Page and GMB closed account - help! Google My Business & Google Maps 9
G GMB page changing name? Local Search 7
travelincat Trying to create a GMB Brand Page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
BenFisher GMB Removes Brand Page Management from the Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 2
HangTenSEO Brand Page vs GMB Page vs Wikipedia Local Search 1
C GMB Page Suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J Merging Existing GMB accounts/pages Google My Business & Google Maps 6
RuggedSEO How to create intro/bio/story on GMB page in 2016? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B What pages should GMB listings point to? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JustinB Rip Off Report Image on GMB Page Citations 3
Linda Buquet Just Reported: Verify your GMB Page via Google Hangout Google My Business & Google Maps 3
M GMB Page not showing for keyword search Help & Support for Google Local 0
Linda Buquet Scammy Local SEOs that Hold Client GMB Pages Hostage Spam on Google 3
Priya Chandra Those pesky practitioners - best practices on setting up GMB pages Google My Business & Google Maps 11
C ABRASIVE Re: HEADS UP - Google Removing GMB Pages and Replacing with Maps Place Pages Recycle Bin 0
J What to do when a GMB "page owner" has "left the building" Google My Business & Google Maps 6
RuggedSEO 1 website & 1 GMB page - found in multiple cities for local search results Google My Business & Google Maps 9
travelincat New Youtube channel created a GMB page, now I need to claim it. Google My Business & Google Maps 3
valentinb13 Previously claimed GMB Page Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Lloyd Silver Any idea on the percentage of businesses with claimed GMB pages? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet GMB So Easy a Monkey can do it Campaign Hits Front Page of Google Google My Business & Google Maps 3
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
rich_marlatt Sharing Medical Patient UGC on GMB Post Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H Seems like someone is trying to Steal my clients GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 5