MichaelW

Reaction score
Hi,

What's the best way to deal with another business at the same address sharing the same phone number?

It's a side business, run on same premises.

This appears to have caused a Google Maps penalty and stopped the original listing from showing.

Any advice, should the side business listing be deleted?

thanks.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
What type of company/service/category is each business?

Is it a home based business?

MichaelW

Reaction score
The main business is a vets.
The secondary business is a scanning service for pets.

I'm thinking there are 2 options

1. New phone number for 2nd business
2. Remove 2nd business from Google - mark it as closed

any thoughts?

thanks,
Michael.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I believe Google would consider this one business. It's really just a vet service within a vet office. From a marketing viewpoint they may want it to seem like a different business and may even have a DBA. But it's more like a department of a business.

So only one listing would be allowed.

Problem though is that many of us have noticed that if you have a closed listing at the same address and phone it often suppresses the main listing, just like a dupe does.

Could maybe try calling support and explaining it was a mistake. You didn't realize you could not have a listing for the other business, it's not a business, but a department of the main business and see if they would merge. It's a long shot though.

MichaelW

Reaction score
Problem though is that many of us have noticed that if you have a closed listing at the same address and phone it often suppresses the main listing, just like a dupe does.

Hi Linda, are you suggesting that even if the company marks it as closed, this may still have a negative effect and the penalty may be retained?

Also I'm in Ireland/UK, do you know if there's local phone support here?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Closed listings should not affect the open listing. BUT some of us have noticed what we believe is a problem. Details below.

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local-important/27109-can-closed-google-local-listings-kill-ranking-important-new-troubleshooting-tip.html">Can "Closed" Google Local Listings Kill Ranking? Important New Troubleshooting Tip</a>

I'm not sure about support there. Set your language settings to English on the G+ page and check during the hours of 6AM to 5PM PST and see if you see the option.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Sorry I just keyed into Ireland, that's the one I'm not sure about.
But if you are UK there is def support. Do you know how to get to it in your dash?

To reach phone support: There is no direct # to call. You trigger phone support right in your dashboard.

The best way to get to phone support so it lets support know what you have a problem with is this.

On the page in question click edit in the top info card. (Like where you edit address.)

Then at the very bottom click "get help with this page".

Then on the next page in the upper right you will see a "Contact us" button.

That will trigger the support option. During support hours there will be a blue "Call Us" button.

Right now hours are 6AM to 5 PM PST but it varies at times and they are closed weekends and Holidays.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
DanielTexasLira Business acquires another business. Should I rename the old GMB listing or label it as "Permanently Closed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
Shelly Opinions wanted: Answering Q&A on another GMB panel (within a different category) as a business in the same town Google My Business & Google Maps 8
JaredCaraway Another business is using my client's name - best course of action? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
M Another Business Using Client's Domain On Twitter Mobile & Social 2
R Citation Strategy For When One Company Buys another Business? Citations 10
L Booking dot com claiming a businesses listing on another directory Local Search 4
Margaret Ornsby Another reason to update your business hours Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Google My Business Locations (Bulk Upload) Gets Another Update Google My Business & Google Maps 2
C Another Tweak Moved Business Messaging Moving or Name Changes 1
Colan Nielsen Another Tweak Moved Business Messaging Moving or Name Changes 1
S Another Multiple Business Thread.... Help & Support for Google Local 3
ChristianRdz Redirecting a ranking page to another site Organic SEO 4
A GSC request indexing feature is currently disabled. Is there another option to request indexing? Organic SEO 1
Tim Colling How to find the email address of another User on a GMB listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Nikki Stine One SAB purchases another SAB, has reviews on both GMBs - possible to merge? Service Area Businesses 2
P Existing location is from another brand Google Duplicates & Merges 2
djbaxter Another option? Update your cancelled or postponed events with Schema Google My Business & Google Maps 0
M Another Map shake up? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
LauraUK Recovering reviews that have been ported to another listing- help Local Reviews 3
Jen Currier Can Facebook Reviews be moved from one Company Page to another? Local Reviews 2
M Sharing the Exact Same Address As Another GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
rhowe If you have a physical location for one brand, but open another ecommerce store, can you set up a GMB listing? Service Area Businesses 7
georgebizpro Redirect https domain to another https website Organic SEO 11
Zhivko Location within another location Google My Business & Google Maps 7
djbaxter Davis tried to register another account Mod Squad 0
Ross Barefoot Another returning prodigal Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 5
H HVAC company bought another company - keep website open? Local Search 5
djbaxter Another long weekend in Canada Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
HangTenSEO Another Call Tracking Setup Question Citations 2
G My GMB is not in the first page another company is alone in the right page of search Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H ANOTHER G+ page merging post! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Caroline How to advise clients with a SAB that ranking in another location takes time! Consultant's Corner 4
L Another Multi-Location SAB Question... Service Area Businesses 5
LloydDobbler Another Multi-Location SAB Question... Service Area Businesses 5
JoyHawkins Another Huge Article Exposing Spam Tactics on Google Maps - Connected to Scientology Google My Business & Google Maps 13
L Testing local pack rankings as if searched from another neighborhood of the city Local Search 6
P Google no longer shows ads on right side, adds another ad spot to the top of the SERP Local Search 1
Linda Buquet 7 Pack Spotted - Another Display Change: Reviews Gone and TONS More Local Search 0
Linda Buquet NO Reviews or Stars In The New Local 3 Pack - Yet Another Google Test? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Another New Local 3 Pack Click Through / Heat Map Study - Mike Ramsey Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Another Local SERP Display Change or Test - Reported by Colan Today Google My Business & Google Maps 12
L Homepage ranking for one location - how to expand to another city? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
ganch0 Address in another city? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Rich Owings Yet another duplicate G+ pages issue Help & Support for Google Local 4
jvaquino Happy New Year! Time to write down another new year resolution! Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
Margaret Ornsby Another post-pigeon plunder summarisation by AimClear Consultant's Corner 3
Colan Nielsen Google Testing Another G+ Page Layout? Google My Business & Google Maps 10