More threads by nathangdavidson

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it against Google guidelines to ask clients to use specific words when asking them to leave a review on a Google My Business profile?

I could see a link to review guidelines on the article below, but wasn't taken there

Many thanks,
Nathan

Hey Nathan,

I can't actually find any evidence in Google's guidelines or on their prohibited content page about this, but my instinct would be that Google would disapprove of requesting that customers use specific keywords. Google penalizes businesses that incentivize or review gate, and this feels like it falls into that same area. Basically, it's important to make sure your reaching out to customers to hear about their authentic experience.

That said, I don't think there's any harm in asking customers to be specific in their reviews. So if you're a restaurant for example, you could say in your outreach email "Tell us about your favourite dish", in the hopes that you'll get reviews that mention your "Amazing spring rolls". Does that make sense?

Best of luck with your efforts!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom