Chase Billow

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A friend of mine changed one of his office location's Google Places page (had not been merged over yet) information - specifically, the name of the business and website. Google let him make the changes and said it will be sending a verification card. As soon as he was finished, he noticed all of his Google Reviews were gone.

This make sense, imo, because he was essentially signaling that a new and different business now existed at this location. Do any of you know, though, if there's a way to get those Reviews back? Could he possibly change the name and website back to the original?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
No Chase, he can just ask Google to re-attach the reviews.

I announced this option almost exactly a year ago here in our G Reviews forum:

<a href="http://localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com/google-local-reviews/7033-new-option-move-google-reviews.html">New Option - Move Google Reviews</a>

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that post Linda.

My only curiosity is that tool only works when you are moving reviews from one G+ Local page to another (unless I'm missing something).

So if the reviews are simply gone, and not attached to another listing, I'm not sure you could retrieve them. Linda?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Good point Colan!

Jade's help doc covers name changes.

"Rebrand: Reviews can be removed from the listing if there's been a significant change in well known, distinct brand name changes. Hotels or fast food establishment that switch franchise affiliations or car dealers that specialize in a different makes of cars would qualify for review removal.

Name changes related to change in underlying services: For instance, a business that switches from Jade’s Chinese Garden Restaurant to India Palace Restaurant, or Al’s Sporting Goods Store to Performance Bike Repair, would qualify for review removal."

But I checked the link to the tool and it does ask for 2 pages. Old and new.

So in this case I would try calling support. I'm pretty sure I've seen cases at the G forum where support was able to re-attach the reviews to the listing.

The reviews are in a separate database and just connected to a particular listing. But Google never throws any data away. (They occasionally lose it, but not on purpose.) Could be the name change and re-verification created a new CID. But the reviews are still in the database. Just need to be connected to this listing. IF they can. No guarantees but worth a shot!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Craig McBreen Two businesses, different names, point to same website Google Duplicates & Merges 1
B Two Businesses - Two Numbers - One Name - One Website - Help! Local Search 0
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Google places business name replaced with title tag from website Google My Business & Google Maps 8
dave101 Updating Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 1
AndiFox Despite my efforts, this business keeps adding info onto their name in GMB Help & Support for Google Local 3
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ryan Steinolfson How do you get the business name to show up next to the map pin? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
lincolnchan Ideas for outranking competitor with same business name Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
K Google Keeps Changing my Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 7
ianscott Incorrect Business Names/Duplicate Listings - When To Escalate To Spam Report? Spam on Google 1
Paul Stevens Businesses from 120 miles away showing up three-pack for searches that name local town Local Search 20
TammyT Does city in business name increase local pack visibility Local Search 7
Caroline Two GMB pages - same business but different names Google Duplicates & Merges 5
JaredCaraway Another business is using my client's name - best course of action? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
kathleen.rhodes Spam in GMB business name Help & Support for Google Local 7
codyecp Business / State Legal Name vs. Real World Business Name for NAP? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
Y Will small change of google business name hurt my google business rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Caroline GMB Business name beats all! NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
H Business with Alternative Names - GMB profile options? Local Search 2
Conor Treacy Client Closed Business, now re-opening with same name Moving or Name Changes 4
B Best practice for flagging keyword-stuffed business names Recycle Bin 0
D Keyword Stuffing in Business Names Question Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Oliver Keates Does my GMB short name have to match the business name for my listing to be optimised? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Jared Broussard Google Maps: Business Name Search vs. Business Address Search Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Tim Kahlert Citations Business Name For Multiple Locations Citations 4
S Create a short name & URL for your business Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Oliver Keates Change in GMB Business name for lawyers industry Consultant's Corner 4
Monica Simpson Business named after Video Game Ranking Puzzles 3
AndySimpson Unicode used for Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 15
WAHamilton What's the best way to escalate issues with geo keywords in business names? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Durandl Should I spam my Business name in GMB to rank higher? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Phil Rozek New naming policies for call-only ads - would be nice if applied to Google My Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Gsmithmike Business with Different Branch Names in a city, How to proceed creating citations and doing Local SEO? Local Search 1
Scott ClientClicks Negative review left for wrong business name, but Google still wont take it down Local Reviews 6
S Practitioner Name or Business Local Search 8
N Not displaying anymore on Google Maps unless domain name (business name) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
A Minor difference in business name NAP in citations. What would the impact be? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
axiomdg Minor difference in business name NAP in citations. What would the impact be? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
bczubiak And word vs. ampersand in Business Name Local Search 4
F Business name filtering out Google Review Local Reviews 2