Dropkick

Reaction score
Hello,

I first want to thank you to the creators of this form and anyone who replies or helps me out and anyone else having the same or similar problem.

I did search the thread and found one person who had the same problem but there were no replies so Im trying (and hoping) for some alternatives.

Ok, here we go.

So my problem is that my google+ business page has the location at the end of its url. So www.googleplus/mybusinessnamemiami as an example. So when people google my business name they dont get my logo and reviews in the right hand column of google. You have to google my business name plus my location in order to get that.

Now from what Ive read I dont think you can change the url name? All of my business is done online and dont even remember why I put a location to begin with but this is hurting me for people that are googling my business. If someone could clarify that this cannot be changed or undone?

In the event that it can't be changed or undone, would it be in my best interest to just delete it all and start over? I have read everywhere that its not smart to delete and start over and that almost all problems can be fixed or that my old page will still cling around? I would rather delete and start over while my reviews and business is still growing before its too late.

Again, I know this was long and I appreciate any and all help. Thanks again

Sincerely Jeff!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I first want to thank you to the creators of this form and anyone who replies or helps me out and anyone else having the same or similar problem.

Hi Jeff and welcome

So my problem is that my google+ business page has the location at the end of its url. So www.googleplus/mybusinessnamemiami as an example. So when people google my business name they dont get my logo and reviews in the right hand column of google. You have to google my business name plus my location in order to get that.

Now from what Ive read I dont think you can change the url name? All of my business is done online and dont even remember why I put a location to begin with but this is hurting me for people that are googling my business. If someone could clarify that this cannot be changed or undone?

OK so the 1st issue is that if you only do business online, you don't qualify for a G+ Local page.
Those pages are only for local businesses that see customers face to face.

Part of the reason you only get a KP if you search name + city is that Google has to be pretty certain what company you are searching for in order to show it. Nationally there could be lots of businesses with somewhat similar names, so if someone instead searches for "Bob's Plumbing Denver" it helps G feel sure which business you are searching for and she's more likely to show the KP.

So that's the reason you only get the knowledge graph if you search for name + city.
It's not due to the city being in the custom URL at all.

You are correct that in most cases you can't change your custom URL. But in your case it sounds like you should not have a local page at all. FYI that local page only has the potential to rank for the city you are actually in, so won't help you much for national searches anyway.

Does that info help?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BenFisher How I changed my Vanity URL in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Garrett Sussman Google Changes Its Syntax for Review URLs on Mobile Local Reviews 9
K Change of URL in Google My Business due to change of organic URL structure. Google My Business & Google Maps 12
B Is it possible to change my Google + URL? Service Area Businesses 5
Bishop Is it possible to change my Google + URL? Service Area Businesses 5
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
F Changes To URL = Suspended Recycle Bin 0
georgebizpro GMB keeps changing business website URL Google My Business & Google Maps 4
sixthcitysarah Anyone seeing changes to URLS, categories, or descriptions reverting out of nowhere? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Ellen Search Console - Mobile Avg. Position Change for GMB tagged URL - June 1 Local Search 7
B Changing local url's Organic SEO 1
plasticotter Can't Change Name on Custom URL? Help & Support for Google Local 1
J Do URLs change after Merge? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
grantbrott URL Change & Local Worries Local Search 8
B Can change URL in Places page effect ranking? Help & Support for Google Local 3
sixthcitysarah Best platform for business location change? If necessary? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
hajnasiewicz GMB repeatedly changing Health & Safety and Service Options Local Content 6
chadkimball Trying to change my signature from Chad Kimball Maps to Chaddo.com as the link anchor Forum Tech Support 2
S Bulk Upload for Changes - Weird Situation Google My Business & Google Maps 0
C Change of operator Google Duplicates & Merges 8
Greg Bernhardt Increased frequency of listing suspensions for legit changes Google My Business & Google Maps 8
dateinadash Will changing https:// to https://www cause an issue with rankings? Organic SEO 3
C Changing website on GMB listing seems to have caused massive a loss of traffic :( Moving or Name Changes 1
JohnnyM Changing Information in citations Google Local 101 1
Caroline GMB headline photo won't change NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
J Changing phone number on individual location GMBs NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Collin Unable to delete photos or change the category Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
A How to change GMB ticket field in search results knowledge panel NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
B Can't change the telephone number in the GMB account Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
P Posts Created for Change in Business Hours Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Stef Kiley GMB Service area changes? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 1
ErinJones Google My Business Category Changes by Month Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Tyler Hammer How to change language on GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Scott ClientClicks Local service ads - change link? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
med-just Strategic Implications of Changing Primary Business Category NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
U Receiving reviews, reviews showing but review count not changing Local Reviews 0
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Can Changing a Listings' Ownership delete the Comments? Local Search 2
coachmarino Longer than usual for changes? Local Search 3
djbaxter Upcoming API Change to break Facebook, Instagram oEmbed Links October 24 Mobile & Social 0
JoyHawkins [Technical Issue] Don't Change the Address on Service Area Business Listings Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
Ben Walsh Branding name change for local attorney ( legalities) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
rustybrick Local Algo changes? Google Algorithm Discussions 5
J Change Name Request Contact Us Messages 0
L Making a lot of changes Google My Business & Google Maps 1