More threads by LisaB

LisaB

Reaction score
We have a client who is rebranding their company and we will be rebuilding their website. Their current domain is more than 15 years old and the website is ranking well.

If we rebuild their website using their brand new domain, will they lose the great search position they have now? Of course we would 301 redirect all of the existing pages to the new domain.

And, we’d also need to update their new domain across a multitude of online directories.

Are there specific recommendations for handling this so they don’t lose rankings? Are there other options I should consider?

We have a client who is rebranding their company and we will be rebuilding their website. Their current domain is more than 15 years old and the website is ranking well.

If we rebuild their website using their brand new domain, will they lose the great search position they have now? Of course we would 301 redirect all of the existing pages to the new domain.

And, we’d also need to update their new domain across a multitude of online directories.

Are there specific recommendations for handling this so they don’t lose rankings? Are there other options I should consider?

Proper 301 redirects for every page on the site, and ideally keeping the old domain up and running forever should do a really good job at retaining current rankings.

I doubt the client could be talked out of rebranding...

If we rebuild their website using their brand new domain, will they lose the great search position they have now?
Yes.
Of course we would 301 redirect all of the existing pages to the new domain.
It's better to do this in Google Search Console using the Change of Address tool to minimise the impact. Change of Address Tool - Search Console Help

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom