More threads by Tom K Digital

Tom K Digital

Reaction score
Hello LocalSearchForum,

I am new to the Local SEO game, recently I have added a small business I am working with to some online directories. I read that adding them to as many as possible was a good idea, so i started adding. A weekend passes and now my client is complaining that he is getting endless amount of calls for premium listing and other potentially scam calls. Below I will include a list to the online directories I have added the business listing to, what is the best way to rectify this issue? I've already said to install a call blocker app and start blocking the numbers. Below is the list.

APSense
directree
trustpilot
foursquare
GPS Network
Manta.com
yell.com
pininterest.com
Navmii
My Local Services
Evening Standard
iBegin
Cylex
Brownbook.net
192.com
opendi
Aroundme
Showmelocal
Hotfrog
contractors1000
192.com
yelp!
storeboard
infobel
bizapedia
cybo.com
freeindex

Thank you for your reply Adam, I have come to a realization that yes, most of the citations on my list are just spammy online directories. I have actually seen my clients business drop down in the local grid too which i can only attribute to these listings.

I got this idea of making as many online directory citations from Chris Palmer on Youtube. I am not promoting him, I am starting to think some of his methods are actually not that thought out and just plainly do not work as this isn't the only thing that has not worked.

Going forward, I will make a list of very high quality citations and go for them, I know it will take time but that is the game.

EDIT: If you are reading this Adam, what would you suggest to do on fixing the premium listing and the scammy calls? I am in UK, I think I will spend tomorrow removing the listings, I have already told the client to block numbers and install a call blocking app called "HEYA".

I'm not bashing Chris for the stuff he puts out, but just take it with a grain of salt. There's a lot of spammy tactics that he promotes on his videos. I used to watch his videos on occasion to see if there was anything new being talked about, but I rarely see a video these days.

As Adam mentioned, aside from Yelp, there's no value in those listings. There's really only 5-10 places that you need links from (facebook, google, etc) and then the rest is all fluff.

As far as stopping the spam calls, it's kind of like putting an email address on a website - once it's there, it's added to a list and then that list is shared with others. Even blocking numbers only goes so far as they'll use other numbers. All you can do at this point is tell the person to say "remove me from your list" and then report them if they don't.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU - Navigating GBP Support

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom