bcherkezov

Reaction score
I have a question about one of my competitors listings which is ranking pretty well but I think that it is something which is no allowed. Lets say we are both (me and my competitor) trying to rank for the keyword Lorem ipsum dolor which is the main keyword for which we (me and my competitor) are trying to rank. My competitor has verified his business with the same name as the keyword Lorem ipsum dolor. And when you search for Lorem ipsum dolor + area he gets on the top every time for a lot of areas in our city. The problem is that he clearly states on his website(his footer which is static and his T&C page) that his business name is Dolor ipsum lorem which is completely different thank his GMB Name. Also on his terms and condition page on the bottom of it he got an image with the real company details (with which he is officially registered) which are completely different from Lorem ipsum dolor and Dolor ipsum lorem.

So far I've suggested an edit on his business page and mark it as "Spam" and fake name I think. I've also attached a screenshot to the report of his website with the footer and T&C page and wrote on the screenshot that he has two different names which are completely different from his listing.

Is there anything more I could do?
Thanks!

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
@bcherkezov, there's not much else you can do, other than to get other people - preferably with a solid track record of approved edits - to pile on.

If you PM me the specifics I'll be glad to send in an edit, if appropriate.

By the way, I'd suggest focusing on editing the name, and not also mark the listing as "spam." Google is more likely to act on edits to the name.

Digitaldar

Reaction score
@JoyHawkins suggests doing a Google Doc proving that this competitor is spamming GMB - screenshots, extra documentation, etc. - so take your message above and including links and screenshots.
Then she says to submit it to Google via Facebook.com/googlemybusiness or Twitter (@googlemybiz)

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
So far I've suggested an edit on his business page and mark it as "Spam" and fake name I think. I've also attached a screenshot to the report of his website with the footer and T&C page and wrote on the screenshot that he has two different names which are completely different from his listing.

This is a bad idea as the edit will get denied. Reporting something as spam is an edit to remove the entire listing and should only be used when the business doesn't exist or doesn't exist at that location. Instead you should edit the name but I have personally found that it doesn't usually stick so you need to create a report and escalate it to Google either on the GMB forum or on Twitter.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
chrism Local Competitor Keyword Stuffing/Similar Words In GMB Spam on Google 2
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
swmaher Competitor Buying Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
D Competitor is constantly suggesting new areas of service. What should I do? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Competitor ranking higher than me Help & Support for Google Local 2
lincolnchan Branded KW Getting Outranked By Competitor... but neither should have GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
F HELP Competitor leaves FIFTEEN 1-star reviews in a matter of days Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Shelly Changing a competitor listing from temporarily closed to permanently closed Google My Business & Google Maps 4
lincolnchan Ideas for outranking competitor with same business name Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
MKubot Punishment or Review of Competitor Fake Reviews Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
K Competitor Republishing Old Reviews as New? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
georgebizpro Local Search Falcon - Competitor Zip Codes Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L Similar named competitor Local Search 5
sixthcitysarah Is there anything you can do about competitors having fake reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Colan Nielsen Google Really Pushing Competitor Listings on Knowledge Panels and Branded Searches Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
D How to Find ALL Competitor Categories in Google My Business Recycle Bin 1
GreyHatHacks DUP How To: Spy on Competitor GMB Categories Recycle Bin 0
GreyHatHacks How to Find ALL Competitor Categories in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 3
P Business ranks 4th in organic search but 13th in GMB, way behind rubbish competitors. Google My Business & Google Maps 6
J GMB Competitor Analysis Ranking Puzzles 1
B How do you protect your GMB site from competitors or spammers edits? Google My Business & Google Maps 21
D Main Competitors Organic SEO 5
nathangdavidson Competitor has added additional GMB profile for their home address, allowed? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Pete Competitor With Odd Reviewers Local Reviews 1
AndySimpson Check your GMB Dashboard and check your competitors posts...any spam? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins Competitor Ad Spotted on Knowledge Panel Google News: Important Changes & Features 7
djcoppedge No local result with only 1 competitor in region Help & Support for Google Local 4
xds40 Competitor using UPS Store Google My Business & Google Maps 6
L Client Buys retiring Competitor url Organic SEO 6
Nikki Stine Client GMB Suspended for No Reason - Again. Can a competitor cause this? Help & Support for Google Local 8
A Problems Removing Competitor Photos from Google Maps Help & Support for Google Local 4
A Fake Competitor Location Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Y Competitor Citation Tracking Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G Competitor spamming GMB ( I think) Google My Business & Google Maps 9
WAHamilton Category that competitor is using doesn't exist...? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 23
S My Competitor's GMB Address Is a Starbucks Google My Business & Google Maps 10
P Competitors Category Research Fails Recycle Bin 1
Jeffrey Taylor Competitor Post Carousel in GMB Dashboard Local Search 1
JoyHawkins How Do You Deal With Competitors That Get Fake Reviews? Local Reviews 7
D Need advice on a bad reviews from competitors Local Reviews 7
H Bought Out Competitor - Now 2 Locations Same Biz Name Moving or Name Changes 3
Heidi Powell Bought Out Competitor - Now 2 Locations Same Biz Name Moving or Name Changes 3
jaywilner How to find the url of competitor's Google+ page listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Q Competitor Using Our Name & Buying Fake Reviews... Help & Support for Google Local 1
Suleyman Okan PDFs in SERP listing competitor names in title Local Search 2
S Competitor ad when I search my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
G More citations, better rating than competitors yet the ranking... Local Search 11
JoyHawkins Free Webinar: 4 Ways Your Competitors are Cheating at Local SEO Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Digitaldar Competitors GMB Shows Up For Non Branded Searches Local Search 4
Garrett Sussman How to Create a Competitive Advantage Using Competitor Reviews Local Reviews 8