More threads by bcherkezov

Reaction score
I have a question about one of my competitors listings which is ranking pretty well but I think that it is something which is no allowed. Lets say we are both (me and my competitor) trying to rank for the keyword Lorem ipsum dolor which is the main keyword for which we (me and my competitor) are trying to rank. My competitor has verified his business with the same name as the keyword Lorem ipsum dolor. And when you search for Lorem ipsum dolor + area he gets on the top every time for a lot of areas in our city. The problem is that he clearly states on his website(his footer which is static and his T&C page) that his business name is Dolor ipsum lorem which is completely different thank his GMB Name. Also on his terms and condition page on the bottom of it he got an image with the real company details (with which he is officially registered) which are completely different from Lorem ipsum dolor and Dolor ipsum lorem.

So far I've suggested an edit on his business page and mark it as "Spam" and fake name I think. I've also attached a screenshot to the report of his website with the footer and T&C page and wrote on the screenshot that he has two different names which are completely different from his listing.

Is there anything more I could do?
Thanks!

@bcherkezov, there's not much else you can do, other than to get other people - preferably with a solid track record of approved edits - to pile on.

If you PM me the specifics I'll be glad to send in an edit, if appropriate.

By the way, I'd suggest focusing on editing the name, and not also mark the listing as "spam." Google is more likely to act on edits to the name.

@JoyHawkins suggests doing a Google Doc proving that this competitor is spamming GMB - screenshots, extra documentation, etc. - so take your message above and including links and screenshots.
Then she says to submit it to Google via Facebook.com/googlemybusiness or Twitter (@googlemybiz)

@Digitaldar, it's a case-by-case question. Often that is the way to go, but not always, especially if the name-spamming is the sole violation.

So far I've suggested an edit on his business page and mark it as "Spam" and fake name I think. I've also attached a screenshot to the report of his website with the footer and T&C page and wrote on the screenshot that he has two different names which are completely different from his listing.

This is a bad idea as the edit will get denied. Reporting something as spam is an edit to remove the entire listing and should only be used when the business doesn't exist or doesn't exist at that location. Instead you should edit the name but I have personally found that it doesn't usually stick so you need to create a report and escalate it to Google either on the GMB forum or on Twitter.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom