Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Google does not really spell out the rules on that one I think because then it just lets the spammers know what the boundaries are.

Did you have a more specific question about whether certain wording would cause a problem?

Mopo100

Reaction score
I don't understand the secrecy... If the spammers stayed within known boundaries they would cease to be spammers.

Previously you mentioned that even describing what you do in the description is a violation, which seems very odd. I mean if Google applied that logic to the description tag for websites, every single site on the planet would be penalised. Surely it's there to allow you to describe what you are and do?

When I look at any seven pack for any industry, I can't say I've seen a single one that does not use keywords etc in their description (I'm not talking keyword spamming, just measured use of target keywords), so why aren't they penalised if it's a violation?

Keenan Glass

Reaction score
If you ask me (which you kinda did by posting here) I don't think there are any rules, so no guidelines. Just think of it like any webpage, don't abuse it.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Previously you mentioned that even describing what you do in the description is a violation, which seems very odd.

Nope never said that. What spammers often do is excessive KW and city repetition.

I've never said you can't describe what you do. But if you repeat your name, all the keywords that are already in your categories and your city over and over, then I've seen what I believe are ranking penalties.

I've seen Mike Blumenthal say that repeating city in description can cause a 10 point ranking penalty, so I'm not the only one that believes this.

Now if you mention main KW and city once it's probably fine, but I think the algo looks at description IN ADDITION to other things and a spam filter can get tripped.

Do you see listings that have excessive KW repetition and still rank? Yes.

Are there speeders on the road that the law has not caught up with yet? Yes.

If you have a spammy description or speed, will you eventually get caught? Possibly.

Now on the flip side does it HELP ranking to risk a spammy KW filled description? No.

I don't think that KWs in description directly help ranking. But what you put there CAN influence conversions.

You'll only rank for the city your listing is in, so why take precious space repeating it? Anyone searching for KW city knows you are in that city.

And you are mainly going to rank for the KWs in categories. AND if your main KWs are already in name like yours are you are covered.

Better use of the description is content that will help convert. Talk more about BENEFITS not KWs. On-time service, quality, ease of use or whatever makes you stand out from the competition.

Mopo100

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Linda, makes sense.

(Not sure where I got the idea that you said *no* keywords could be in the description *at all*, got a bit confused)

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I've been known to say don't keep repeating the same KWs that are in your categories and in your case your KWs are in your name too. So if you repeated your name (which is not advised) and that same KW twice then it would be in there 3 times and could look spammy. But you could use a synonym or list additional services as long as they aren't the same KWs as in cats.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Colan Nielsen GMB Description Field Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 13
ChristianRdz Page Title & Meta Description On No-Index Pages Organic SEO 9
CoRichardson Incorrect "Located in" Description in Client's Knowledge Panel Help & Support for Google Local 13
S Ratings without review description not showing Local Reviews 1
Zhanna Autoselected short descriptions of businesses on maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Duplicate test in Descriptions Google My Business & Google Maps 1
SydneyMarchuk Issue: Service Descriptions Not Publishing Help & Support for Google Local 5
sixthcitysarah Anyone seeing changes to URLS, categories, or descriptions reverting out of nowhere? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
S Is the service description section on GMB available for all industries? I am currently working on a business thats an event venue. Service Area Businesses 3
genteinvencible Why is sometimes Google showing this short description? Local Search 3
DigitalMarketer Business Description & Multiple Location GMB Multi-Location Issues 3
MKubot Do keywords in your GMB description matter? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
officialryguy1 Updating Hotel Descriptions Help & Support for Google Local 3
P How should you optimise the description in GBM - Should you use links to your sites? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
brettmandoes Meta Description Limits - Funny Pattern Local Search 4
H Why were so many of my descriptions updated and deleted? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
BenFisher Google Testing Posts and Description Position in Local Finder. Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tim Colling Google shows pending changes to remove the description from half of my GMB locations(!) Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Scott Rawlins Google Posts - Longer Descriptions? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
djbaxter Google: Duplicate meta descriptions no big deal Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Yoast study of longer meta descriptions Organic SEO 0
PaulSteinbrueck New GMB description impact on search rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
H In the history of time, has anyone ever been complimented for a good Description tag? Consultant's Corner 1
V Description of GMB and Custom URL for G+ Google My Business & Google Maps 5
BenFisher New? Description of business in the SERP results map pack Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Scott Rawlins Bing Listings No Longer Showing Descriptions Citations 0
danieljc Where descriptions display to public Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Scott ClientClicks GMB penalty due to business name? No Description! Google My Business & Google Maps 12
V Google Description Hijacked - youtube video. Marketing 6
JoyHawkins Is there Such Thing as a Description Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
L Need Product Descriptions Written Consultant's Corner 4
JoyHawkins Do Your Meta Descriptions Have Good Calls-to-Action? Local SEO Tools & Software 4
L Routinely Changing GMB Descriptions Local Search 8
frederickwebpro Current best practice for G+ "introduction" (Formerly Google Places Description) Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Your Wife is HOT! Google+ Local Descriptions that Grab Attention Local Content 4
Linda Buquet Your Wife is HOT! Google+ Local Descriptions that Grab Attention Local Content 4
D Duplicate Content on Site, G+ Description & Citations? Local Search 6
Linda Buquet How are Short Descriptions (Snippets) on Google Local Business Listings Generated? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Adding description to business name Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google Support Says GMB Description Helps Rankings? Pigeon Ranking Signal Change? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
A Google My Business Description Google Local 101 2
Chris McCreery What a great G+ listing Description Consultant's Corner 14
R Linking in the Google Local Listing Description Local Search 8
G Citations description and Google Places description Citations 9
Colan Nielsen Business Descriptions in New Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 4
R Descriptions Local Search 2
djbaxter Should you use Meta Description tags? Organic SEO 4
Linda Buquet 2 New Google Local Problems - Descriptions & Missing URL to Website Google My Business & Google Maps 1
R New Dashboard - Business Description Format does not transfer G+ site Local Search 1
R Google+Local new dashboard Business Description Local Search 5