More threads by razorclicks

razorclicks

Reaction score
I read Joy Hawkins article about a business donating to charity in exchange for a review is considered review manipulation.
Has there ever been examples of Google removing a business's reviews when they suspect such kinds of manipulation?
If so, is there a way to ever appeal their decision?

Solution
I am not sure if any have happened yet since this just got brought up but if a business was reported, Google would remove the reviews. There is always an appeal process but I don't see it going anywhere since they already said this is a violation of guidelines.
I am not sure if any have happened yet since this just got brought up but if a business was reported, Google would remove the reviews. There is always an appeal process but I don't see it going anywhere since they already said this is a violation of guidelines.

Solution
I read Joy Hawkins article about a business donating to charity in exchange for a review is considered review manipulation.
Has there ever been examples of Google removing a business's reviews when they suspect such kinds of manipulation?
If so, is there a way to ever appeal their decision?

Yes, I worked a case where the reviews were removed. All it takes if for one upset customer to report the business. I have people report businesses directly to me all the time.

In the end, your cost benefit analysis should focus on the customer NOT on Google or the FTC (which has indicated that there are issues with incentives).

And as Jason alludes to it is some % of your customer base that will feel cheated or be disillusioned with the practice. And that is a much bigger loss than any gains you might have in review volume because it is much longer lasting. If one of them not only reports the behavior but leaves reviews to that affect, its impact on your reputation will last a long time.

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom