More threads by Luke Hancock

Luke Hancock

Reaction score
It appears dumpster rental companies were targeted in suspensions on Friday.

Can someone shed light on the credibility of this video? Does Google sometimes target different industries? Would the targeting come from another source?

ahhhh, the pleasure of the cat and mouse game of GMB. Never a dull moment.

Hey Luke,

Yeah, I have definitely seen Google crack down on listings that seem to impact some industries more than others. A lot of it is automated so the more fake listings that get created in an industry, the more suspensions we see, generally speaking.

It's good when there's a fight against unscrupulous contractors. But often, good companies get caught in the mix, too. Then it takes a long time to restore one's good name

It's good when there's a fight against unscrupulous contractors. But often, good companies get caught in the mix, too. Then it takes a long time to restore one's good name

Milwaukee Dumpster Rental, Little Rock Dumpster Rental, Savannah Discount Dumpster Rental, and dumpster rental in Lafayette LA provide decent trash removal services, and someone decides to get in their way. I hope that it is temporary. Where else to find your target audience if not through Google? You can always find compromises.

It appears dumpster rental companies were targeted in suspensions on Friday.

Can someone shed light on the credibility of this video? Does Google sometimes target different industries? Would the targeting come from another source?

ahhhh, the pleasure of the cat and mouse game of GMB. Never a dull moment.

Yeah, we work with a dumpster rental franchise and currently have 3 locations whose GBPs are suspended. One was suspended about three weeks ago and the other two were both suspended last Tuesday at the same time. Others are dealing with a complete drop-off in map rankings. It seems clear that Google is looking at this industry in particular right now.

@garrettkite what was the reason for the suspensions?

Google will never tell us what the issue is. In a past case, we had a client change the address of their GBP (without telling us) and the listing was then suspended. A suspension seems to be an automatic when an existing service area business listing tries to change to a physical location & adds an address to their listing. In the case of these recent suspensions, there's no rhyme or reason; the listings are totally compliant with Google's terms of service/guidelines but were still suspended.

Google will never tell us what the issue is. In a past case, we had a client change the address of their GBP (without telling us) and the listing was then suspended. A suspension seems to be an automatic when an existing service area business listing tries to change to a physical location & adds an address to their listing. In the case of these recent suspensions, there's no rhyme or reason; the listings are totally compliant with Google's terms of service/guidelines but were still suspended.

That's not entirely true. It is category specific. One of four things will happen when you make an edit to the core data, name, category, address, service area, phone, and website URL:
1. The edits will be accepted
2. The edits will go into pending review
3. The profile will need to be reverified again
4. The profile will get suspended.
Since Dumpster rental is a spammy vertical, Google goes with option 4.

That's not entirely true. It is category specific. One of four things will happen when you make an edit to the core data, name, category, address, service area, phone, and website URL:

So are you saying that any edits made to any profile with spammy categories will be suspended regardless of whether they're following guidelines or not? I have a dumpster rental owner who reached out to me that their listing got suspended, and a Google rep told him it was because he entered an incorrect URL.

Oddly enough, we've had other listings in the same vertical - dumpster rental as the primary category - add additional categories, add secondary phone numbers, update descriptions, update biz name, and add service areas without being suspended or even needing reverification. I'm sure it is category-specific and I know the dumpster rental vertical is wild right now, but there does seem to be some variation in how Google handles this from listing to listing. What has been consistent for us, is anytime an address is added or changed, it results in a suspension.

Oddly enough, we've had other listings in the same vertical - dumpster rental as the primary category - add additional categories, add secondary phone numbers, update descriptions, update biz name, and add service areas without being suspended or even needing reverification. I'm sure it is category-specific and I know the dumpster rental vertical is wild right now, but there does seem to be some variation in how Google handles this from listing to listing. What has been consistent for us, is anytime an address is added or changed, it results in a suspension.

Try changing the primary category or primary phone number, those should trigger the suspension.

Have you been able to get any of those suspended listings reinstated so far?

Have you been able to get any of those suspended listings reinstated so far?

Yes, all of them, luckily. But it has taken some work. We've had to have business documentation that reflects both the name as it appears on the GBP listing and the address that was used to verify the listings (even though these are service area businesses).

Yes, all of them, luckily. But it has taken some work. We've had to have business documentation that reflects both the name as it appears on the GBP listing and the address that was used to verify the listings (even though these are service area businesses).

That’s awesome! How long did it take?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom