More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Happy Saturday to all the hardcores :)

I'm noticing something odd that I hope is a temporary glitch. Normally when you click the "edit details" link on a Google+ Local page you are redirected to a edit interface that is a mini version of Map Maker.

I checked a few listings this morning and when I click on the "edit details" link it redirects me to the Report A Problem box on Google Maps.

Anyone else seeing this too?

Same for me Colan. Thanks for alerting us.

Sure hope it's a temporary glitch and not the new norm.

Colan asked Google, so we'll let you know if we learn anything we can share.

Funny things always seem to occur as Halloween approaches.

Arrrrrrrr...matey....indeed they do.

Thanks Priya, good to know!

Same for me Colan. Thanks for alerting us.

Sure hope it's a temporary glitch and not the new norm.

Colan asked Google, so we'll let you know if we learn anything we can share.
It is going to be a mess. This happened at the same time or shortly after adding Add a Place in Google Maps for Mobile. This is going to create more problems than it solves. I wanted to bang my head against the wall when this appeared.

It is going to be a mess. This happened at the same time or shortly after adding Add a Place in Google Maps for Mobile. This is going to create more problems than it solves. I wanted to bang my head against the wall when this appeared.

Hi Andrew, what exactly is going to be a mess? Looking forward to your insight as always.

Hey Colan,

Not to answer for Andrew but he posted this on my G+:

"It happened following the new Add a Place in Mobile Maps. Its a horrible change because it allows for free-form addresses. If Google Local Support thinks they're going to be able to keep up they're fooling themselves. First Listing Editors now this mess."

So I assume "allows for free-form addresses" is the issue.

Andrew is there a thread at the MM forum about this we can read?

Hey Colan,

Not to answer for Andrew but he posted this on my G+:

"It happened following the new Add a Place in Mobile Maps. Its a horrible change because it allows for free-form addresses. If Google Local Support thinks they're going to be able to keep up they're fooling themselves. First Listing Editors now this mess."

So I assume "allows for free-form addresses" is the issue.

Andrew is there a thread at the MM forum about this we can read?
Thanks Linda. In my rant I left out why I was annoyed with Google Maps / Local. It indeed is the new ability to allow free form addresses. Its going to create more problems than its worth. No MapMaker thread that I remeber, but here's the official announcement: https://plus.google.com/111401917971052287374/posts/UYieR9aRkj4

Gotcha, thanks. So essentially anyone can now add a Google+ Local page for any business they want?

Is this essentially the same as adding a business through MapMaker but with freeform addresses?

The interface isn't exactly new; it is part of the new Maps and thus has been out for months. Classic Maps sent you to Community Edits (the interface you are used to seeing) and so did the edit options on G+ pages. On the new Maps there are three different ways to submit edits and all lead you to this new interface, but G+ pages still used Community Edits up until a few days ago.

I've talked to Google a few time about this new interface, and then a formal escalation/complaint was made a week and a half ago. I then made the same discovery as you a few days ago that now the G+ pages are also directing you to this interface and forwarded that on as a follow-up.

Gotcha, thanks. So essentially anyone can now add a Google+ Local page for any business they want?

They always could. This is just yet another interface in which it can be done; but you people have been adding them via Community Edits and Map Maker for years. More G+ pages get added by users than owners.

Is this essentially the same as adding a business through MapMaker but with freeform addresses?

It's equal to Community Edits from 3-4 years ago, before they put a lot of work into a new interface that enforced using the available choices, as sort of Map Maker Lite. This new interface basically undone a bunch of work that some team did towards creating better data. But yes, all forms of entry available to the public (old Community Edits, new Community Edits, Maps interface) all create edits that we then review in Map Maker. We've been seeing edits in Map Maker from this new interface for months now, and they are just as horrible as the ones that come over from GMB.

And since GMB has taken over the majority of business reviewing fro the GRs with their Listing Editors that get it wrong over 50% of the time, expect many bad edits from this new interface to get approved without correction.

Hmmm weird. Another change.

I click edit details. It takes me to that newer..ish report a problem screen right on Google Maps.
(I'm using Classic.) But then when I tick wrong address, location, phone. etc...

THEN it takes me to the original edit details page we used to have - what I think Colan referred to as the mini MM interface.

Is that what others are seeing now too?

Thanks Scott.

Hey all...

Just now checked using Chrome and new maps and the old edit details screen is back - YAY!

So maybe was just a temp glitch and not a permanent change.

Thanks Scott.

Hey all...

Just now checked using Chrome and new maps and the old edit details screen is back - YAY!

Or like most changes to operations on Maps: don't consult MapMaker, make change, Map Maker provides constructive feedback, change gets reverted.

Thanks Scott.

Hey all...

I checked when you first posted this and two times since; I'm still exclusively seeing the new interface.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom