Dino

Reaction score
Hi folks, long time since I've posted, but have a question...

One of my service area clients, an HVAC business who serves customers at their location and does not show his address, is gone from literally all searches except his business name.

It looks like he's been filtered for some reason and I can't get an answer from Google reps other than I need to add pictures, make more posts, etc. They say the listing is fine.

Clearly it is not. Previously he had been in the 2-6 position for most searches relating to air conditioning, heating, HVAC, etc. Now, he's not visible at all, not even the last page.

I need to troubleshoot this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? What can I try?

I've read through the forum and have found a few posts on filtered businesses from late 2016 when there seemed to be a bigger problem with filtering at the time, but nothing recent.

The listing was fine one day and then disappeared about 4-5 weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi Dino,

Where is your client located? The filter could be because Google's expanding their home service ads to your client's location. Here's an article going over what happened to SABs in San Diego when the home service ads hit. If that's what's going on, you're stuck either advising the client to get a proper office and displaying their address, or switching to a pay-to-play with the home service ads.

The other possibility is that there's another HVAC company on the same block as you that was formerly filtered, but has just pulled ahead and now your client's getting filtered instead. That kind of filter is from the possum update. The first posts talking about it are from September, 2016, but the filter itself is still very much in effect. There was another thread on this topic earlier in the week you might want to check out.

Dino

Reaction score
Thanks, James. I'll check out all those possibilities.

Dino

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your input. We finally got it working again. We just went through everything, updated content, started posting, uploaded more images, got more reviews, updated structured data and fought endlessly with Google reps. Not sure what got it working again, but I'm fairly confident our conversations with Google had the least impact.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give feedback.

Reaction score
Congrats! Always feels good to get an obvious win like that for the client. Thanks for updating us on how it went.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Filtered Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 5
WAHamilton Main listing filtered by duplicate, after duplicate is marked as 'closed' Google Duplicates & Merges 6
H Should I filter these self referrals? Organic SEO 0
accessted Filtered GMB NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
H Main Hospital Listing Getting Filtered Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J Filter Issue with Smart Campaign? Help & Support for Google Local 4
AndySimpson Images That Will Cause Your Google Posts to Fail and Filter Your Google Posts Google My Business & Google Maps 35
H Reviews not showing up from Facebook? Does FB filter reviews? Local Reviews 10
SteinCoffee How to design content strategy to avoid filtering? Organic SEO 1
dsb264 Filtering in Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoyHawkins Yelp Review Filter Just Got Stricter? Local Reviews 5
Rich Owings Yelp now filters reviews with check-ins Local Reviews 10
M GMB results showing filters - Ratings / Hours / View History Google My Business & Google Maps 4
BrentCarnduff GMB Filtering similar businesses with same address? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
F Business name filtering out Google Review Local Reviews 2
JoyHawkins Google Just Rolled Back the Possum Proximity Filter Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Garrett Sussman Google Local Pack Filters Out Businesses With Less Than 4 Stars Local Reviews 2
H Perceived Penalty / Filter - Google Local Purgatory Recycle Bin 11
D Google My Business Local Spam Filter: Per Google patent & Slawski article July 4 Local Search 13
Travis Van Slooten Yelp Filters Reviews from Active Yelpers? Local Reviews 8
Jared What Triggers the Local Search Filter in Google? Local Search 6
H Verbatim - Anyone else see this filter feature? Local Search 1
Dustybones Is Google going to filter reviews embedded on your site? Maybe not? Local Reviews 1
Linda Buquet New Google Review Filtering Option & the Review Inflation Factor Local Reviews 1
Dustybones Understanding the Google + Review Filter: Local Visibility System Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Ultimate Guide to Finding Google Local Reviews that were Filtered/Removed Local Reviews 6
rossicone Google Review Filter & Linking Directly to G+ Local Reviews 9
Linda Buquet Google Local Algo Change or Did Spam Filters Get Dropped? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Phil Rozek Checklist: keeping Google+ reviews from being filtered Local Reviews 5
Linda Buquet Country Filter - Chinese Spammers Mod Squad 2
Mike Wilton The Real Deal With Yelp Reviews and the Filter Mobile & Social 10
Linda Buquet HOT Google Review Trick & Great Example of Why we Have a Review Spam Filter Local Reviews 12
Linda Buquet Build Google+ FILTER Bubbles NOT Links - The Algo is Curating our World Local Search 0
JoyHawkins Avoiding the Google Local Review Filter Help & Support for Google Local 4
Linda Buquet Tips for Avoiding the Googe+ Local Review Spam Filter Local Search 2
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 13
Mike Yem Remove 3rd party messaging service All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
mikepetersonwi Products and Services for Insurance Agency NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Y Editing Service Areas Service Area Businesses 8
K Google & Google Users Removing Items From Service Menu Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Wary Goose Anyone used the Business Banking Service GMB Category in the U.S. yet? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
Colan Nielsen NEW Google My Business is Testing "Services" Justifications Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
swmaher Reporting Spamming Service Area Businesses Spam on Google 4
rutkap Youtube video laying out the biggest problem in locksmith services Spam on Google 2