More threads by TriciaClements

Reaction score
There is a GMB profile that has been merged with another listing. I'm not sure if Google thought they were the same and merged them or if the competitor did some shady 💩.

Is there a way to undo this? Reviews and everything were moved to the competitor!

Thanks!

Solution
Hi Tricia,

I've seen this happen a few times. It happens when some algorithm mistakenly identifies two business profiles as duplicates and merges them. Often triggered by same/similar name, same/similar categories, nearby addresses.

I saw a case of a restaurant, let's call it "New York Restaurant", being automatically merged with "Bar New York", a bar located immediately beside it. I suppose the names, categories and addresses were close enough to trigger a merge.

You'll need to post a thread in the GMB Community so a Product Expert can escalate it. Include the names, addresses and website URLs of the two businesses, as well as the Maps link to the remaining business profile.

You'll need to provide more details after that but...
Hi Tricia,

I've seen this happen a few times. It happens when some algorithm mistakenly identifies two business profiles as duplicates and merges them. Often triggered by same/similar name, same/similar categories, nearby addresses.

I saw a case of a restaurant, let's call it "New York Restaurant", being automatically merged with "Bar New York", a bar located immediately beside it. I suppose the names, categories and addresses were close enough to trigger a merge.

You'll need to post a thread in the GMB Community so a Product Expert can escalate it. Include the names, addresses and website URLs of the two businesses, as well as the Maps link to the remaining business profile.

You'll need to provide more details after that but no point in cluttering up this post. That's enough to get the ball rolling!

Solution
Hi Tricia,

We've had similar issues in the past, but the GMB listings were not merged with a competitor but a hotel of the same company. 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business.

Just like Stefan said, create a thread on the GMB forum as soon as possible and maybe reach out to a Google Expert. Forget about contacting GMB Support, it will only delay things and frustrate you! Jason Brown helped/saved us!

In our case, we were able to export the transferred reviews as we had control of the other profile. I'm not sure how you can do so in your case. Once we exported the reviews, we were able to identify a large number of reviews that had a reference to the deleted profile... This will also help as evidence that they made a mistake by merging two different businesses as it likely includes the restaurant name, the owner, waiters and maybe the owner includes their name and business name in their replies.

Best of lucks!!!!!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom