More threads by SmartDataMap

SmartDataMap

Reaction score
We've seen a couple instances where our client's website was removed from their Google My Business listing. This resulted in a drastic drop in web traffic. We noticed the sites were not SSL compliant. Once SSL was applied, GMB accepted the website listing once again. Wondering if Google is getting more strict in their need for secure websites.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Local Search Forum!

Yes I think GMB is becoming stricter with secure websites being used inside GMB. Another problem that I have seen cause issues is when you update your SSL but forget to update the URL inside GMB. So now you have a re-direct which Google explicitly calls out as a no-no in the GMB guidelines.

We recently had a client whose website was removed even though it was SSL. Not sure why.
1540583100880.png

Simple fix of putting the website url back in, but didn't know if anybody may have an idea why it was removed to begin with.

Competitor suggested an edit?

Sometimes it's just bad timing..the Google bot decides to crawl your site while the server was down for maintenance (or the site was down for a short while for whatever reason) and you'll get that crossed out url.
If it happens more than once, then it could be a technical issue that needs to be resolved somewhere.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom