Seo Guru

Reaction score
Google just changed their rules for GMB posts: If you are a chain, you can now mass post to all your Google My Business locations using a GMB post scheduling tool.

Source: Create Posts on Google | Google My Business API | Google Developers

From link above:

Note: In response to coronavirus (COVID-19), chains may now create Posts via the API for a limited time. Posts made by Chains should be related to business updates relevant to coronavirus (COVID-19).

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
Yes!
But it does not apply to hotel chains, unfortunately...
May be soon?

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it won't be coming to hotels.

That's sad to hear... Do you know if hotels will be able to edit their own business description?

Also, we are reviewing all of our hotel listings. We have a client that has hotels that close at the end of the season, every year, from April to October. I've noticed that they have used the "Opening Date" field to mark the date that the hotel will open again for the season.

Iberostar_Albufera_Playa_-_Business_Info.png

Could you confirm that this is not what we should be doing? Also, would it have an impact on the visibility of the location?

I'm seeing huge drops on Views on Maps around the dates that the hotels were marked with the "opening date"

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 14.01.05.png

And one last question... The dates of the hotels are all set to open in the coming weeks (April/May). Should we change them, taking into account the current situation? Should we leave them and mark them as temporarily closed when it is the "opening day"?

I hope I have been clear enough...

Thank you in advance Joy!

Last edited:

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
If the business is listed as opening in the future, it doesn't actually show up on Google Maps so that would be why the views dropped sharply (more on that here in my training). I would not suggest using this to indicate the business is closed due to COVID-19. I'd use the temporarily closed label instead.

I haven't heard of any changes coming to the features that hotels are able to utilize.

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
If the business is listed as opening in the future, it doesn't actually show up on Google Maps so that would be why the views dropped sharply (more on that here in my training). I would not suggest using this to indicate the business is closed due to COVID-19. I'd use the temporarily closed label instead.

I haven't heard of any changes coming to the features that hotels are able to utilize.

Thank very much @JoyHawkins.

I'll start changing the opening year dates.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 1
ErinJones Google My Business Category Changes by Month Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 0
FriarTuck00 Google Keeps Changing Phone Number on Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
K Google Keeps Changing my Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 7
M Multiple reviews changed to “A Google User” Help & Support for Google Local 2
Oliver Keates How to change the IG handle on Google knowledge Panel? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Cordell Crowley 3-Day Change of Ownership for a Google Maps listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Y Will small change of google business name hurt my google business rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
H Tracking down the source of a Google involuntary category change Google My Business & Google Maps 8
djbaxter Robots meta changes for Google and the Yoast SEO Plugin Websites, Software, and Security 0
M Google changed my "primary category" on GMB NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
djbaxter Google changes link rel attributes: nofollow, sponsored, ugc, now hints not directives Organic SEO 1
officialryguy1 Google My Business Changes/Issues for Hotels Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
H Site Change of Address issue in Google Search Console Organic SEO 2
djbaxter "Stop changing the Google Logo..." Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 5
L Significant google algo change in the last few days? Organic SEO 4
Oliver Keates Changing The GMB Service area radius on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 7
C Google Changes and Publishes Wrong Hours Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Tim Colling Huge Change for Service Area Businesses in Google My Business Service Area Businesses 129
Tim Colling Google shows pending changes to remove the description from half of my GMB locations(!) Google My Business & Google Maps 14
C Google automatically changing times, phone number on listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
G Does Google limit the amount of times you can change GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Creativedge Google is changing my address? Help & Support for Google Local 5
Digitaldar Can Customers Change Their Google Review of a Business? Local Search 1
JoyHawkins Webinar: Changes to Google My Business & Local SEO in 2017 Google My Business & Google Maps 20
Travis Van Slooten How to Make an Address Change to Claimed Google Listing (with no access to it) Google My Business & Google Maps 7
M Google Review Stars not changing? Local Reviews 10
Linda Buquet Moz Local Now Provides Google NAP Change Alerts Google My Business & Google Maps 2
BenFisher How I changed my Vanity URL in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Colan Nielsen Google Changes Business Name in Local Knowledge Graph Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Garrett Sussman Google Changes Its Syntax for Review URLs on Mobile Local Reviews 9
James Watt Google SERPs Display Changes - Some that Affect Local Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet Making Sense of the Google Adwords Changes for Local Businesses Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
chrish Google+ Won't Change Name to Correct Spelling Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Finally: Official Google Statement on ALL the Google Local Changes after G+ Update Google My Business & Google Maps 19
D Why does Google keep reverting my changes? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Dustybones Google Hacked Spam Algorithmic Changes Rolling Out Organic SEO 6
Linda Buquet YAY Phone #s are Back in the Pack - Google Local Update you'll LIKE for a Change! Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Linda Buquet HOT! Track ALL Google Changes - Including Local Updates by Dr Pete @Moz Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Christa Morgante Google Changing Meta Local Search 6
M New Change: Google Removing Unverified Listings July 28th Google My Business & Google Maps 23
A Changing to Google My Business social media icon from Google Plus Icon Local Search 1
D How can I change our office location on Google Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
MichaelW Google My Business Search Results Change Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet Google Business View Rebrands (Again) PLUS More Maps Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Linda Buquet Major Google Local Algo Changes - No it was a BUG, Now Fixed Google My Business & Google Maps 36