JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey Barry,

Thanks for asking. Yep, I'm seeing some pretty giant shifts on the handful of clients that I just checked. Here are some examples.

1614343737494.png

1614343741262.png

1614343744740.png
1614343748443.png

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Some of the clients I checked were lawyers, lawn care, private investigators, and insurance. I was seeing changes for all of them so it doesn't appear to be specific to an industry.

BrightLocal's tool allows you to isolate certain industries though and compare it to the average: Local RankFlux - Monitor Volatility in Google’s Local Algorithm

dgonynor

Reaction score
Hey Joy- Thanks for the tip on the BrightLocal tool. Does it also provide the tracking charts that you shared above? Dave

GuyFinley

Reaction score
Working through my client list and would usually be doing this Monday (first of the month) but from the few I spot-checked I'm definitely seeing the same thing.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
See also

Google is currently putting together the final changes for a search algorithm update that they’ve announced will land in May 2021.

The update is being called the Page Experience update because of its focus on usability rather than things like keywords or search relevance. Google has already provided some information on the update, which aims to measure and potentially rank the experience that a user encounters when visiting a page.

The fact that Google have given so much warning about the update says all you need to know about how seriously to take it. We know it’ll impact organic search results but as of yet, there’s no word on whether there will be any specific impact on Google My Business rankings.

At the very highest level, the update will for the first time implement the Core Web Vitals that Google defined in 2020 into the search algorithm. The aim of those metrics is that users should have a web experience that is straightforward, reliable, safe, and works great on any device.

The Page Experience update is ultimately the leveling up of those metrics from a ‘request’ to a ‘demand’, in that, theoretically at least, your local business site will perform worse in search if a comparable competitor is performing better in Core Web Vitals.

carolyn2

Reaction score
Technically, it's still running. So far what we've seen is a higher correlation overall in the area of LSI, entities and keywords and less on backlinks. It's still running so I'd say hang on.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm seeing lots of changes but I'm not 100% sure what the patterns are yet. One thing I found really fascinating for one client I was observing was that they saw HUGE gains for terms in cities they are not located in (like 30 min away). These two examples are 2 different cities, neither of them are the city the client is located in.

1614973250866.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Free Webinar: Local SEO Guide Google Ranking Factors for 2019 Events 0
Linda Buquet Emulate Location to Street Level to Check Google Local Rankings - Chrome Extension Local SEO Tools & Software 2
L Analysing a google local ranking drop and how to fix it ? Local Search 2
F Google Local Search Ranking Issue- Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
E Re: The REAL Secret to Ranking in Google Local Recycle Bin 0
I Local ranking factors on Google Partners website? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
glossolalia Strange Google Local Ranking Issue Google My Business & Google Maps 5
JoyHawkins Google just Publicly Stated a 4th Local Ranking Factor Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Linda Buquet Don't Rank in the Google Local 3 Pack? Here are Some Hidden Reasons - Joy Hawkins Google My Business & Google Maps 5
M Google Maps API to check my local Ranking? Local Search 2
A Google Local Ranking Check Tool Local SEO Tools & Software 13
L Does your presence in Google local pack have an effect on your organic ranking? Local Search 6
Linda Buquet Dear Google, Stop Using Business Name as a Local Ranking Factor- Darren Shaw Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoshuaMackens FREE Weekly Google Ranking Reports (Local Businesses Only) Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet GEO SERP Screenshot Tracking Tool - ADVANCED Google Local Ranking Troubleshooting Local SEO Tools & Software 16
Linda Buquet Can "Closed" Google Local Listings Kill Ranking? Important New Troubleshooting Tip Google My Business & Google Maps 51
O Pigeon Rotates My Google Local Ranking by Time of Day Local Search 2
Linda Buquet RIP Places Search - Causing Google Local Rank Tracking Problems - New Google Update Google My Business & Google Maps 10
S True Google Local Ranking Local Search 2
Dustybones How you Search Gives Different Google Local Rankings Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Troubleshooting Google Local Ranking Problems - Excellent Guide by Miriam Ellis! Local Search 7
bluehabit Google Local Ranking Question (with picture) Help & Support for Google Local 6
S Spammer Copied Reply Re: The REAL Secret to Ranking in Google Local Recycle Bin 1
3 Google Business Photos May Correlate With Higher Local Search Ranking Google Business View 5
360 Spin Google Business Photos May Correlate With Higher Local Search Ranking Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet How Google Hummingbird Impacts Local SEO & Local Rankings Local Search 1
sergiuliano Google Local Carousel Rankings and Competition Analysis Tool Local SEO Tools & Software 2
Linda Buquet Google+ Local Centroid - NOT City Center! Affects Ranking! Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Linda Buquet How the Google Local Algo Really Works - What Rules the Ranking Order Google My Business & Google Maps 29
Linda Buquet Hidden Listings, Local Ranking & Algo Changes with the New Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Linda Buquet Google Maps Update - Shifts the Rankings, Impacts Local SEO Google My Business & Google Maps 8
J How is this possible? Two internal urls of same website ranking in google local? Ranking Puzzles 4
J How is this possible? Two internal urls of same website ranking in google local? Ranking Puzzles 4
Linda Buquet Interesting Double Page 1 Google Local Ranking Local Search 3
Linda Buquet How to Rank in Google Places AKA Google+ Local Google Local 101 0
J Will Phone # On Adwords Effect Rank On Google+ Local? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet How to Rank in Surrounding Cities In Google Local Local Search 13
M Can you rank for Google Local AND first page organic? Local Search 13
Cleaner44 Merged Google+ Local pages are amazing for improving rankings! Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Linda Buquet The REAL Secret to Ranking in Google Local Local Search 18
David Fesler Effect of 3rd Party Reviews on Google Local Rankings Local Reviews 17
Dave Cosper Correlation Study of Factors affecting Google+ Local Rank Local Search 11
L Ranking Puzzle or Hot Tip? Blogspot for Google+ Local Sites? Ranking Puzzles 4
Linda Buquet Ranking Puzzle or Hot Tip? Blogspot for Google+ Local Sites? Ranking Puzzles 4
Linda Buquet 7 Ways to Kill Your Google Local Rankings - Local Visibility System Local Search 5
Colan Nielsen Google+ Local Optimization Tips/Tricks To Improve Ranking Google My Business & Google Maps 21
Dave Cosper SnapGuide: How to Improve Your Google+ Local Search Rankings Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet Google+ Local Ranking Factors - Competing for Visibility Local Search 16
L Google Local Ranking Mystery - Location Settings Backwards Ranking Puzzles 16
Linda Buquet Google Local Ranking Mystery - Location Settings Backwards Ranking Puzzles 16