More threads by micaelamcguire

Reaction score
We acquired a smaller service shop this year by buying them out and their technician is going to come work here for us. We kept their GBP listing and it’s in our ownership and we changed the name to “Collett’s Automotive at Lighthouse Buick GMC” and nested it under our main listing. We’ve kept it active for any of their previous customer base that would search for Collett’s and not know they closed and try to contact them to garner that business.

What I’ve noticed is that Google is starting to show their GBP listing for service queries instead of our main service shop listing. Is is hurting us by keeping their GBP listing active and nested in ours? Would you recommend that I mark this GBP listing inactive if we would want our actual Lighthouse Auto Repair Shop listing to be the primary GBP listing that shows up for search queries?

Solution
Hey there thanks for posting on the forum!

I took a look and at first glance since they have separate categories (GMC dealer vs auto repair shop) the local filter should in theory not be a issue. However, they are similar categories and if any of your secondary categories overlap you will run into local filter issues. Read more about the local filter here. I think this is the case where the two listings are to similar and Google is filtering one in favor of the other.

If you want your main Lighthouse Auto Repair Shop listing to shows up for search queries instead of Collett’s I would recommend reaching out to Google support and asking them to merge the two listings. By merging Collett’s into your main listing, you...
Hey there thanks for posting on the forum!

I took a look and at first glance since they have separate categories (GMC dealer vs auto repair shop) the local filter should in theory not be a issue. However, they are similar categories and if any of your secondary categories overlap you will run into local filter issues. Read more about the local filter here. I think this is the case where the two listings are to similar and Google is filtering one in favor of the other.

If you want your main Lighthouse Auto Repair Shop listing to shows up for search queries instead of Collett’s I would recommend reaching out to Google support and asking them to merge the two listings. By merging Collett’s into your main listing, you will help the authority of the main listing and eliminate the issue your currently facing. You also want to keep the reviews I am sure and support can also transfer reviews when they merge two businesses.

You can reach out to support via this form and ask them to merge the listings. Make it clear to support you want to merge the Collett’s listing INTO the main Lighthouse Auto Repair Shop and you would like them to transfer the reviews to the main listing as well. Its important to be clear on exactly what you want them to do because a merge can NOT be undone by support. Read more on merges here.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom