More threads by Scott ClientClicks

Solutions
Reaction score
I've seen some GMB knowledge panels show social media icons under a title that says "Profiles". Is there a way that business owners can influence whether or not these icons show? It's pretty common to see Facebook show up, but I've seen a few that also show Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube, Twitter and Instagram. One tactic that comes to mind is coding a site with "same as" schema, but the sites I've checked that show these icons don't have that schema.

I've seen some GMB knowledge panels show social media icons under a title that says "Profiles". Is there a way that business owners can influence whether or not these icons show? It's pretty common to see Facebook show up, but I've seen a few that also show Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube, Twitter and Instagram. One tactic that comes to mind is coding a site with "same as" schema, but the sites I've checked that show these icons don't have that schema.
Google says they don't use sameAs schema anymore. Do you have links to those accounts on the website, sitewide or on the homepage?

I could be wrong... But having those social media accounts show up on the first page of SERPs influences if they show up or not.

I've noticed this with my client. The profiles changes based on what shows up in our Branded SERP. If facebook is not in the first page - it won't be in the KP profile.

In addition, since SameAs is not used anymore - you should also link them from your website.

Just saw this thread via the "Last week's most popular topics" email, so for what it's worth...

1. Still use SameAs in your schema...we all know that even when Google says it's not using something when it actually is 😏
2. How active are your social profiles, are they actually worth showing on your GMB profile?

Let us know how you get on.

Having a consistent business name across all channels and your GMB can help a lot with this. I often find businesses that will use their official name in GMB but variations in social channels. Google isn't able to as easily make the connection. That said, this rule isn't set in stone and Google may make the connection in other ways. I also agree with having the social channels linked on the website and having the website linked in the social channels.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom