makanth

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My client was located in Los Angeles with good local map rankings. He moved his business in to new location about 1 month back and he worried about rankings because we put all efforts on local seo from last 2 years. Please suggest me how to merge old location listing to new location listing without losing rankings and reviews. Is any tool available to change business address in local listed directories? Please let me know other process also to merge.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
You can't really merge an old and new location. When you create a new listing you?ll lose all the reviews and ranking and basically have to start over from scratch. Google wants the old reviews attached to the original locaion.

You can also no longer suspend or delete a listing - including old closed locations. There is a whole weird complicated process you need to do when someone moves now. Google will no longer remove the old listing, so you need to mark it permanently closed.

Reaction score
This is one of those oh-no things like changing a business name. You're back at square one in Google's eyes. It's amazing to think that Google's local platform is now so powerful, it might make you decide not to move or change your name...but that's the lay of the land now.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
This is one of those oh-no things like changing a business name. You're back at square one in Google's eyes. It's amazing to think that Google's local platform is now so powerful, it might make you decide not to move or change your name...but that's the lay of the land now.

LOL true. I'm picturing a company deciding they need to re-locate and then someone from the marketing department telling them they should check with Google 1st to see if it's OK. :p

If businesses only knew the full impact of a move or re-branding in advance - much less how to handle it. Google doesn't explain it anywhere. I've asked them to do a best practice help doc on it, but no luck yet.

russofford

Reaction score
Reaction score
This is what p*sses me off about Google. On one hand they are so brilliant, but on the other hand they are so stupid. Businesses move and relocate all the time. The reviews should stick with the BUSINESS not their location. This should be common sense. It also shouldn't take an act of god to make a simple address change to a listing, but I digress.

This is why I continue to preach the importance of optimizing and ranking the business' website NOT their Google+ Local page. It's also why I preach to businesses to diversify their online marketing efforts. If a business goes under or loses significant sales because they lose their Google+ Local rankings, then that's a business built on quick sand. Never put your eggs in one basket;)

Travis Van Slooten

makanth

Reaction score
You can't really merge an old and new location. When you create a new listing you?ll lose all the reviews and ranking and basically have to start over from scratch. Google wants the old reviews attached to the original locaion.

You can also no longer suspend or delete a listing - including old closed locations. There is a whole weird complicated process you need to do when someone moves now. Google will no longer remove the old listing, so you need to mark it permanently closed.

Thank You Linda for sharing your valuable information. Now which is the best method? editing existing Google+ Local Business listing with changed address or creating new Google+ Local Business listing with new address. Please let me know which are best steps should i take in the next level.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
eshad Google has merged accounts but is showing an old listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
pbarnhart Google Search Console Merging UTM'd URLs into Canonical URLs - Suggestions? Local SEO Tools & Software 5
H Merging a listing Organic SEO 7
J Gmb help please: 2 offices merged into 1 office Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Department Listings Deleting/Merging Google Duplicates & Merges 5
P Convincing Google to merge listings Google Duplicates & Merges 2
kathleen.rhodes We are unable to get Google to merge 2 duplicate listings into the correct one Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Brittany Barkes Merging GMB Location With Bad Reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 2
onebox220722 How to merge two lists into one list Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Chris Ratchford Waiting for Google to merge listings for over 4 months Google Duplicates & Merges 4
jimmydoubleu Google business not listed/found on Search/Map after merge Google Duplicates & Merges 6
TriciaClements Merging 2 GMB (Not duplicates) Google Duplicates & Merges 10
Jeffrey Duplicate merging not working Local Search 2
Nikki Stine One SAB purchases another SAB, has reviews on both GMBs - possible to merge? Service Area Businesses 2
FriarTuck00 Merging: One Storefront (Claimed) and One SAB (Unclaimed) Google Duplicates & Merges 3
L Yelp merging two listings with the same name Citations 1
K Undo a Listings Merge? Google Duplicates & Merges 1
B Duplicate Listings - Google Not Merging Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Scott ClientClicks Merge soft suspended listing with primary listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Merging a duplicate GMB - what happens to the posts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
E.Dieter Martin 1 service area business, 1 "office", 2 phones, 2 GMB listings. Merge without losing reviews? Service Area Businesses 1
P Correct procedure to merge GMB pages for same business following relocation Google Duplicates & Merges 8
mikepetersonwi Merging businesses Moving or Name Changes 4
Durandl Business listing merging issue Google My Business & Google Maps 5
rclark GMB Profile Vanished & Reviews Merged With Other Realtor At Office Help & Support for Google Local 3
Conor Treacy Acquiring Business - Merging GMB & Reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 5
Ted J. Merging Two Business Listings to One Location on Yelp - Moving Reviews Across Listings Local Search 8
Larry Merge or remove a business? Google Duplicates & Merges 14
Vicky Trainor One Business, 2 Websites, 2 GMB Profiles - Should I merge Everything?? Google Duplicates & Merges 14
Tim Colling Facebook Page Merging advice Mobile & Social 21
J Merging Solo Practitioner and Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Benjamin Beck What Happens When Merging Accounts? Google Duplicates & Merges 3
Creativedge Solo practitioner with two dental offices - Should the listings be merged? Help & Support for Google Local 4
H ANOTHER G+ page merging post! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Creativedge Search results are much worse months after merging. Help & Support for Google Local 7
bhartzer Need to Merge Locations Google My Business & Google Maps 8
J Merging 2 GMB Accounts Google My Business & Google Maps 4
G Merging Google+ Brand Page with Google My Business Local Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
mschaler Client bought 2 new businesses merging into 1 Help & Support for Google Local 8
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Merge (or delete) a Duplicate Google My Business Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
J Merging Existing GMB accounts/pages Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Scott ClientClicks Company is merging, what's the best solution to combine GMB profiles? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
K Is this a merged Google Business page? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
S Remainings of a merged duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 2
I Remainings of a merged duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 2
kkbedard Five Google+ Pages for client - Merging and deleting help! Help & Support for Google Local 6
Linda Buquet LocalUp Threads Merged Recycle Bin 2
Linda Buquet Why are my Reviews not showing in SERP 7 Pack? Weird Merged Dupe Problem Local Reviews 3
RobinOctane Duplicates on Google, To Closed Or To Merge? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Tyson Downs Merging Google + Brand Page with Google My Business Page Google My Business & Google Maps 2