jimbo5

Reaction score
Hi :)

I´d like to know the meaning of the icons in Google Maps. For example, for two software companies (same category), one shows a red icon with a white dot and the other shows a red icon with a white bag.

Captura.JPG
Captura2.JPG

Thanks!!

jimbo5

Reaction score
@jimbo5 I'm seeing that ScreenMedia has "audio visual equipment supplier" as a secondary category on the listing and Recubik does not. Can you try adding that category to the Recubik listing and see if that changes the way the pin shows up?
ok that's the difference. As I imagined.

jimbo5

Reaction score
I just wanted to know why a business showed a "dot" and another a "purse" and I imagined because of the difference in categories between the two of them. The fact is that I think there are more businesses with the category "Audiovisual service provider" that do not have the purse symbol.

On the other hand, I have been looking like crazy for an explanation to all the symbols that google maps shows and I have not found it. At least a complete one ;)

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
On the other hand, I have been looking like crazy for an explanation to all the symbols that google maps shows and I have not found it. At least a complete one ;)

The main page shows just colors. Press the side arrows to see specific symbols.

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
Hello all!

@jimbo5, I have found way more business with the dot as an icon than with the shopping cart.

carteleria_digital_-_Google_Maps6.png

The icon is red because this is how Google highlights all the businesses related to your query. The icon with the dot is strange, it looks like the icon Google uses when it has identified the business you searched for.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 19.40.22.png

Could it be they have been reported for spam?

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 20.00.13.png

Unless I search for the term "Screen Media / Cartelería Digital / Digital Signage" or for "carteleria digital barcelona" I'm not able to locate the business. It also looks like it is located in a residential apartment building with no Street View available.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 20.00.23.png

I can't forget to mention that all those businesses have super spammy business names, I mean...

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 20.19.20.png

To me it looks like you can report all of them basically...

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score

The main page shows just colors. Press the side arrows to see specific symbols.

Hi @djbaxter,

The icon colours that I'm seeing in maps searching from Spain are the same as the ones in Google's post, except for

1. Hotels
The icon is pink at the moment

restaurante_en_palma_de_mallorca_-_Google_Maps.png

While in Google's post the hotel icon has a violet shade.
Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 19.17.34.png

2. Pharmacies
The same colour, but the icon is different.

restaurante_en_palma_de_mallorca_-_Google_Maps5.png

In Google's post the icon has a cross, which is not showing up at present.
Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 19.20.17.png

I'm sure there have been more changes since 2017, maybe Google could update them...

I also came across something I had not seen/noticed before. Searching for shops I found that some businesses were marked with a blue icon and not in red.

tiendas_en_palma_-_Google_Maps.png

The shops with the blue icon have in common that they display a Coronavirus message.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 18.48.26.png

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 20.55.21.png

While the ones with a red icon don't.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 18.49.44.png

Is this so? Have you seen it that before?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Scott ClientClicks How to get GMB to show social media icons in knowledge panel? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Lightning icon for new posts in mobile view Suggestions for the Local Search Forum 4
liorenda Icons in GMB name Google My Business & Google Maps 5
xds40 Top Rated Icon Google My Business & Google Maps 3
V Icon and bold print in GMB local listing. Screenshot Help & Support for Google Local 6
M "Online Care" icon on 3 pack listing: How to get it? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
A How to add Alternative Tags to Icons Organic SEO 1
Rich Owings Is this a way to get review star icons for your own site in SERPs? Local Reviews 5
Barb Davids Have you seen the little blue icon? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Rich Owings Facebook review star icons show for some pages, not others Local Reviews 5
MannyL Icon in the SERPs results? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Yan Gilbert Icons in Google Desktop Search Results Local Search 2
JoyHawkins Delivery Icons Appearing in the 3-Pack Google News: Important Changes & Features 17
S Google Guaranteed icon question Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Brodie Clark New Icon Appearing in the Map Pack & Local Finder: 'On the menu' Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
Tim Colling Social Media Icons in GMB Profile - the recipe Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Social Icons are Back on Local Knowledge Panels Google News: Important Changes & Features 13
wra2010 Creating Map Icons for College Campus Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Roald "Trending this week" icon Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
Patrick Garde Google My Business Adds Family Led Attribute / Icon Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Digitaldar How to Get Social Media Icons on GMB or Knowledge Box? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins Local Knowledge Graph Finally Showing Social Icons Google My Business & Google Maps 8
A Changing to Google My Business social media icon from Google Plus Icon Local Search 1
C Images/Icons on Google Map/Local Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Colan Nielsen Embedded Map Icons - Is It Possible To Influence Them? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H Ranks better for (city name) than for near me . . .which means....? Organic SEO 3
Chaddow Changes to Apple Maps data sources what will this mean ? Local Search 2
A What does a red update mean? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
djbaxter Do Not Track may not mean what you think it means Websites, Software, and Security 3
juliaannCA What are the meaning of colors symbols in Google Map Recycle Bin 1
Garrett Sussman What Does Snapchat?s New Context Cards Mean for Online Reviews? Local Reviews 0
Tim Colling Angie?s List is now free: What this change means for your business Local Search 4
Linda Buquet What Google Now on Tap Means for Local Search Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JordanJCaron Webmaster tools CTR, what does it mean? Local Search 2
deanPlumberseo Google Maps Ads - What does it mean for us? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Google Penguin 2.0 Goes Deep - But What Does That Mean? Organic SEO 0
shondarogers What Does The Blue Marker Mean? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Local Search News Curator Apple Maps: What It Means For Local Search Local Search 14
MiriamEllis What Would Success In Local Mean To You? Local Search 8
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
M Google Search Console Errors "Coverage and Breadcrumbs"? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
E "Duplicate" Profile That Google Claims We Already Manage? Google Duplicates & Merges 1
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 0
JamesGreenaway Google Insights query Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NexstarNickR Google Star Rating: LSA vs. GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5