More threads by LocalSEODat

Reaction score
Hi Gang, quick question - Is it possible to get local keyword search volume for a specific city, province, or state? Can it be done for KWs w/ local or no local modifier since searchers are using both? What tool can one get this with, besides Google's KW Planner?

Last edited:
Hi Gang, quick question - Is it possible to get local keyword search volume for a specific city, province, or state? Can it be done for KWs w/ local or no local modifier since searchers are using both? What tool can one get this with, besides Google's KW Planner?

The rank tracker would be a good option. This tool passes the exact GPS coordinates of your custom geo-location with each keyword query.

I have very good experience with this tool.

It may work for you Local Rank Tracker Tool to Check & Grow in Any Local SERP :)

Thank you, Joy! I'll see if it can give data for city-specific locations without the
The rank tracker would be a good option. This tool passes the exact GPS coordinates of your custom geo-location with each keyword query.

I have very good experience with this tool.

It may work for you Local Rank Tracker Tool to Check & Grow in Any Local SERP :)

Thank you so much @vivekrpatel ! Much appreciated! I'll check out this tool: Local Rank Tracker Tool to Check & Grow in Any Local SERP

Google's keyword planner is the only thing you can really use to get this data accurately in my opinion.

Thank you, @JoyHawkins ! I'll see if it can give data for city-specific locations without the the 'Toronto/Vancouver' city modifers. Lots of people don't use this anymore, so if it only gives estimated monthly search volume for local KWs with local modifiers, then I'll only get a part of the picture. It is what it is. LOL

We use Google's Keyword Planner specifically for that reason. We can specify city, county, or multiple regions. So we break down the national searches, then have some extra columns for local search.

With the included screenshot, you can see what the searches are on the national level, then we have a "metro" column which is for San Antonio. The first one in yellow (house cleaning services) you can see is 21,000 searches nationally, but only 320 in the metro. The other columns are CPC info and positions of local competitors.

The only downside is that you need to run the query multiple times - one for national, another for the metro (or multiple cities if you go that route). But you can get a pretty good picture.

metro-compare.jpg

We use Google's Keyword Planner specifically for that reason. We can specify city, county, or multiple regions. So we break down the national searches, then have some extra columns for local search.

With the included screenshot, you can see what the searches are on the national level, then we have a "metro" column which is for San Antonio. The first one in yellow (house cleaning services) you can see is 21,000 searches nationally, but only 320 in the metro. The other columns are CPC info and positions of local competitors.

The only downside is that you need to run the query multiple times - one for national, another for the metro (or multiple cities if you go that route). But you can get a pretty good picture.

metro-compare.jpg

Thank you @Conor Treacy for taking your time to help me. Thanks for the XL snapshot & your explanation. Much appreciated!! All the best to you Conor!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom