More threads by whiskeyburning

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has found out a way to get automatically notified on changes in keyword rankings? For example, if rankings dropped significantly, are there any platforms online that would automatically flag this change and notify you? Our organization uses Bright Local, which do have automatically generated Ranking Reports (we set them to "Monthly"), but they do not feature an automatic notification to alert you of significant changes in ranking so we would need to go into each client location manually and view it, which is very time consuming. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for this. Thank you and happy Monday!

Hey there! This feature is on our roadmap for the Whitespark Local Rank Tracker, and we'll have it out this year sometime. It seems straightforward on the surface, but it can be a bit tricky in reality. The problem is that the search results can be very volatile. You can be steadily ranking well day after day for all your terms, and then out of nowhere see a big drop on one day, but then be right back to where you were the next day. This is the kind of thing we want to NOT report on. We don't want to cause any panic when there is no need to panic.

This is particularly pronounced at a single keyword level. If one keyword drops, there isn't any need to worry unless it stays dropped for an extended period of time.

In summary, we're building this, but we're working on making sure that we build it SMART.

You might want to give our Local Rank Tracker a try with our 2 week trial. It has many advantages over BrightLocal and we have a lot of customers that switched over and love it.

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has found out a way to get automatically notified on changes in keyword rankings? For example, if rankings dropped significantly, are there any platforms online that would automatically flag this change and notify you? Our organization uses Bright Local, which do have automatically generated Ranking Reports (we set them to "Monthly"), but they do not feature an automatic notification to alert you of significant changes in ranking so we would need to go into each client location manually and view it, which is very time consuming. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for this. Thank you and happy Monday!

@whiskeyburning, it's far from perfect, but it's usually more telling than rankings reports: Search Console data on impressions (and clicks). You can get alerts when certain pages or queries are way up or way down: Performance report (Search) - Search Console Help

Thank you for this message Phil - very interesting! I went into the link you provided but could not find out how to set alerts when certain pages or queries are way up or way down - would you be able to possibly let me know where to go on this page? Thanks again!

My pleasure, @whiskeyburning. As far as I know, there's no way to request notifications on a page-by-page basis. (I wish there were.) Rather, Google monitors all of your pages and just lets you know if and when one is way up or way down.

@whiskeyburning semrush has the described feature that can send you emails when a tracked keyword has a significant change. The email notification will show the position, difference since last check, and approximate volume in the geographic area specified. I've used it personally, and you can customize the rules to balance how many notifications you want to actually receive.
I'd suggest using their free trial to see if it has the features you want.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom