More threads by hajnasiewicz

hajnasiewicz

GMB Product Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
I need a logo updated on our Wikipedia page, anyone here an editor or can suggest how I can get the logo updated?

Solution
The thing about copyright is that logotypes are not copyrightable in the US. They are trademarkable designs, obviously, but they cannot be copyrighted. A crucial difference as far as Wikipedia's legal position is concerned.

In fact there is a letter on Commons from the US copyright office denying Subway's appeal of the denial of copyright registration for their logo. So not only can the Family Fare logo be uploaded on Wikipedia, it can be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons (the old logo is uploaded there in fact).
Have you tried simply submitting an edit to Wikipedia yourself? They allow anyone to edit and they have pretty straightforward guidelines for you to read. I know of people that do editing on Wikipedia but I don't think any of them are members of this forum.

Hi @hajnasiewicz,

To add to @JoyHawkins: I became a Wikipedia editor for a few past projects & SEO experiments; anyone can do it. But the guidelines are thick so the learning curve is a bit steep.

Images are particularly tricky. They must be public domain / open source. No copyrighted materials are permitted in the Wiki ecosystem.

Pull up any big brand on Wikipedia and click the logo that's displayed. That takes you to the media viewer where you'll see some info about the source in the footer.

Click on the "more details" button and scroll down to the "Licensing" section to learn where it was published as public domain or why it isn't copy protected.

Do that with a few brands to get ideas on how you can open source your logo in a way that meets Wikipedia's standards. E.g. The Lululemon logo is published here as open-source: lululemon | Brands of the World™ | Download vector logos and logotypes

For my work, I published images to Flickr with a suitable creative commons license.

Make sure you understand what you're giving up when you publish your logo as open-source.

For details from Wikimedia Commons, start here: Login required - Wikimedia Commons

Hope that helps!

The thing about copyright is that logotypes are not copyrightable in the US. They are trademarkable designs, obviously, but they cannot be copyrighted. A crucial difference as far as Wikipedia's legal position is concerned.

In fact there is a letter on Commons from the US copyright office denying Subway's appeal of the denial of copyright registration for their logo. So not only can the Family Fare logo be uploaded on Wikipedia, it can be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons (the old logo is uploaded there in fact).

Solution
I wasn't either until I noticed that the logo was indeed on Wikipedia Commons, and I've been a Wikipedia administrator (mostly lapsed, tbh) since 2007 XD

OKAY.
No one seems willing to ask. I'll ask.

Can you get some link work done, for a fee of course?

I was a Wikipedian well before I was in SEO, and I've dealt with on-wiki SEO campaigns before. So I most emphatically wouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

@hajnasiewicz, the replacement of the logo is a legitimate edit, and I wouldn't mind doing it, if stefan isn't already on the case and if you can share a copy of the relevant image file.

Last edited:
I was a Wikipedia well before I was in SEO, and I've dealt with on-wiki SEO campaigns before. So I most emphatically wouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

@hajnasiewicz, the replacement of the logo is a legitimate edit, and I wouldn't mind doing it, if stefan isn't already on the case and if you can share a copy of the relevant image file.
(y)
I had to perform a public service by asking.

I was a Wikipedian well before I was in SEO, and I've dealt with on-wiki SEO campaigns before. So I most emphatically wouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much, I have attached the file.

FF-Logo-250.jpg

Have you tried simply submitting an edit to Wikipedia yourself? They allow anyone to edit and they have pretty straightforward guidelines for you to read. I know of people that do editing on Wikipedia but I don't think any of them are members of this forum.

I have tried submitting but I do not have editor access, my IP is blocked and I'm trying to work through that issue as well.

Thank you very much, just returning from a week vacation so catching up .....

Ironically I was barely functional at the time I'd posted that (sprained my dominant shoulder) and had to postpone, and ended up taking off the whole of last week. BUT it is finally, actually done. I may have to keep an eye on it as apparently I should've ideally used an upload process that's different from the default one. It's been a long time since I've done stuff on Commons.

Ironically I was barely functional at the time I'd posted that (sprained my dominant shoulder) and had to postpone, and ended up taking off the whole of last week. BUT it is finally, actually done. I may have to keep an eye on it as apparently I should've ideally used an upload process that's different from the default one. It's been a long time since I've done stuff on Commons.

I appreciate your help very very much!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom