More threads by Lachlan_Wells

Lachlan_Wells

Reaction score
I just found this interesting example of a mixed business entity. I thought I'd share it so we might learn a little more about how they work.

Slumberland is a bar in Berlin, but its Google-generated description belongs to the furniture chain of the same name. Here's a profile of Slumberland the furniture store, and where the description may have been pulled from.

Given that Google is associating these two entities I thought Slumberland Berlin might rank for furniture keywords, but they didn't appear in any results when I changed my browser location to their front door and ran some tests. Could this mean that information that Google learns from the broader web has little to no impact on GMB, and that it's really just category and name that affect your local rankings?

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 11.06.08 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 12.17.50 pm.png

Also a side note, if you work in markets targeting more than one language (eg. tourism, hospitality) this is a good reason to check your profile in different languages. This description only appears on the english version, so the german owners of this bar might have no idea they're being presented as a mattress store to tourists and english speaking expats.

This is not a helpful reply but I can't resist: somewhere in all of this, there must be a good joke about Google not knowing the difference between a bar and a furniture store. :rolleyes:

@Lachlan_Wells - That short description is an editorial summary which is actually written by a Google employee. And that means Google must manually attach the summary to the Business Profiles.

I suspect they attached their written summary to all GMB listings with the name "Slumberland" without recognizing that a non-franchise location was accidentally included.

Strangely, I would chaulk this up to human error!

@Lachlan_Wells - That short description is an editorial summary which is actually written by a Google employee. And that means Google must manually attach the summary to the Business Profiles.

I suspect they attached their written summary to all GMB listings with the name "Slumberland" without recognizing that a non-franchise location was accidentally included.

Strangely, I would chaulk this up to human error!

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Stefan.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom